Planting date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting date?

When do y’all normal plant your fall plots? It’s been so dry and hot I haven’t even started soil prep yet.

Labor Day weekend is usually a good time. Cooler weather and rain should be around the corner.

Comment

I usually put my oats in the first good rain after labor day. You can put them in dry if you don't have lots of turkeys. I can't do it because they will peck every seed out if it lays there more than a couple days.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
        When do y’all normal plant your fall plots? It’s been so dry and hot I haven’t even started soil prep yet.
        I would plant today if I was off, it is raining

Comment

weekend before bow season, but have to keep any eye on it for army worms

Comment

We plant wheat and oats second weekend in September usually.

Comment

First weekend in October. I don't want my oats too big and mature too early.

Comment

Mid October. Too hot early to mid September, and we usually get a dry spell thru mid October.

Comment

First of October

Comment

Typically I plant opening day of Bow Season. Labor Day is too early in TX. Yes you can almost count on rain, but its not sustainable. Often times your crop will germinate but then no rain for several weeks and they stress out or even burn out if the temps stay up.

Comment

I'm shooting to plant my plots around 9.8.18. I show some rain in the forecast for 9.6.18 at my place so hoping that stays true and hoping I got a good kill from the spraying I did this past weekend. Should be getting more rain after the 8th as well, or at least I'll be dancing for some

Comment

Mid October, it is still too hot right now. If it does come up it wont take the heat, right now if your planting oats or cereal rye.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                          Typically I plant opening day of Bow Season. Labor Day is too early in TX. Yes you can almost count on rain, but its not sustainable. Often times your crop will germinate but then no rain for several weeks and they stress out or even burn out if the temps stay up.
                          That depends on what part of the state you're in. I've always planted the first week or two in September, but that ain't gonna work this year. I'm not planting until we get substantial rain and more in the forecast.

Comment

Originally posted by JStrickland View Post
                            We plant wheat and oats second weekend in September usually.
                            We usually do too, but shooting for first week in October this year. So dry at our place. Amy worms wiped our Sept plot out last year. Woulda been fine had we waited a few weeks

Comment

Planted wheat, oats, turnip and winter pea last year in September. Got it in rained all weekend, wheat and oats came up great 5-6 inches got really hot and it layered over dead. Peas did good later in the year, should have waited later in the year to plant

Comment

Working...
                              X