Pheasant hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant hunting

A few of my buddies and I are looking into a pheasant hunt in either Kansas, Nebraska or South Dakota. I know SD is the "best place" to go, but was trying to keep it a little closer to home since this is our first time going. Anyone got any suggestions for a first timer on places and/or outfitters. This would be just like a two day hunt (depending on price).

Lots of public land up there. Are you taking dogs or just looking for an outfitter with them?

Comment

Absolutely Pheasants in Presho

Talk to Stowe

Comment

Don't have dogs ourselves. What's a good price for an outfitter for 2 days hunting? Everything I'm seeing is running $400-500 a day so far.

Comment

I've hunted at a couple of places up there EcircleE was incredible, hundreds of birds in every field, great dogs, but quite expensive IMO.

My favorite place was Swanson's near Niobrara Nebraska, lots of birds, great dogs and a little less corporate and more reasonable as far a price goes.

You can't go wrong with either.

Comment

That's on my bucket list.

Comment

Top Flight Hunting Preserve Columbus TX, TX

Comment

Kansas is a great destination for public pheasant/quail hunting. I have gone with a group for the past 5 years. Most lakes in Kansas are managed by the KDWP and offer thousands of acres of walk-in hunting, and they offer cabins around most lakes for $50/night. Public hunting is a great trip to enjoy the outdoors but not for shooting multiple limits of birds. Always a great trip, and my favorite way.

If you are willing to spend more money and shoot more birds for much less work, I would suggest using Dons Guide Service in Glen Elder, KS. I went on a group hunt last year with him, and everyone shoots limits. Upsides are the food (he cooks and don't ask for A1 sauce), tons of birds (pen-raised and released the week before before your hunt), they field dress and package the birds, well trained dogs, and great lodging for groups with TV, pool table, etc. Down side is only one hunt per day, spending only 2-3 hours in the field per day.

Check out the video below of my view using a GoPro with Dons Guide Service:

Good luck!

Comment

If you go, take a pair of the cheapest pantyhose you can find..

If you plan on getting a bird for the wall.

Comment

Working...
                  X