Columbia Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Columbia Disaster

16 years ago today. What a tragedy. I recall recovered parts found in east Texas close to st Augustine area. Remembering those fallen

Doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

Comment

2 NASA tragedies which happened on near proximate dates

Will never forget exactly where I was on both dates

Prayers sent for those affected

Challenger Jan 28
      Columbia Feb 1

Comment

I heard the Columbia disaster in Runnels Co. while quail hunting by myself. I thought it was a sonic boom until I got back to the cabin where my wife was watching tv. Sad deal.

Comment

I was out of the truck and opening a gate and heard a loud boom. I had no idea what it was. Found out it was from the shuttle. Sad to lose those folks.

Comment

Was sitting in a field on a goose hunt in Palacios, TX when I saw it. Had no idea what happened until we got back in the truck and heard it on the radio. That was before smart phones were a thing. Crazy how much difference 16 years makes...

Not to mention that there probably isn't a goose within 20 miles of where I was hunting that morning.

Comment

I remember standing on my front porch in Garland and saw a smoke streak through the sky...I did not know what I had seen until a few days later. We hunted East Texas around the area the majority of debris fell. We always were concerned what we might find when walking some of those thick areas. Never found anything we could rightfully identify as debris.

Comment

If you are in Hemphill, the community has a museum dedicated to this and it is worth the time to go through it.

Comment

I was driving home from night shift in Dallas when it happened. Had pieces fall on our land in Cherokee cty. My crazy uncle was still alive then and hid them in the barn. Didn't want the law on his land. He ended up "anonymously" turning them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrage View Post
                    I was driving home from night shift in Dallas when it happened. Had pieces fall on our land in Cherokee cty. My crazy uncle was still alive then and hid them in the barn. Didn't want the law on his land. He ended up "anonymously" turning them in.
                    We were watching from out front of our shop here in Dallas. We thought it looked funny crossing the sky, but were back inside when the explosion happened.

Comment

On a lighter note, i was about 15 when that happened and my dad and I had seen on the news about people finding debris in ETX. Well later that day my dad was outside and started yelling excitedly for me to come over here because he thought he found a piece of the debris. I rushed over and it was just a rusty piece of sheet metal that he had used a blue marker to write NASA on and draw a star. We had a good laugh. It's crazy the stuff like that that you remember from so long ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X