Son's First Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son's First Buck

I posted this buried in another thread yesterday but decided to start a new one (link to original post below pics). In summary of the previous thread, I had 2 bucks showing up on trail camera that I was trying to get my son on. My son finally got it done for his first branched antler buck (he has shot spikes before) last Saturday evening. And, it was the preferred buck which is even better. It was a tough road and I couldn't be more proud of him. I was hoping it would be quick and easy but nothing ever is.

We went down early Friday the weekend before Christmas to make the evening hunt and didn't see anything, not a single deer. The next morning we hunted until 9:30 and only saw a little 4 point. We went back out from 11-3 and nothing and then saw a little 6 point that evening. He wanted to shoot the 6 point but I didn't let him. I felt a little regret with the time and effort he had been putting in but knew there were better deer. It was a good management lesson too. Sunday morning brought more of the same with nothing seen. We went back out for a little while Sunday afternoon before heading home. So in all over 18 hours in the stand that weekend with very little deer sightings. This is usually one of our most productive stands so frustration was high with not seeing anything. It was tough to be so frustrated but stay positive and encouraging to my son. I really started to question everything I was doing: ozonics or no ozonics, drive in with atv or walk in, hand corn vs tailgate feeder corn vs just what the main feeder throws, etc.

We took the holidays off to let everything rest and went down early again on Friday. Friday night we saw nothing again but the trail camera showed that both bucks had been there recently. I did decide to change it up though. We walked in Saturday morning and put out no additional corn, just got in as quickly and quietly as possible. He showed up right after the feeder went off but was really spooky. He would come in, look around (not really at the stand) and then walk off just outside of the shot window. He did this about 10 times. On the last time my son was on him but he left for good as my son put it on fire. He didn’t spook because of that as he just walked off. More frustration but it was also exciting to be that close to getting a shot. So we went back out from 11 to 3 but saw nothing. We took a quick break and then got back in a little after 4. I was starting to lose hope as light faded and then about 5:45 he showed up. I didn’t see him walking in he just appeared. This time he was much more calm and was about 10 yards away. My son got settled in for the shot (he had to sit in my lap to get the angle right, etc.) and then it seemed like it took forever. I’m pretty sure I whispered to my son at least 3 times to shoot, shoot him now, etc. My son was patient and waited for the right shot and made a good one. I was trying to watch the shot thru binoculars but when my son shot he sat up and I couldn’t see anything. I couldn’t tell if the deer was hit, where he ran or anything. My son was confident in his shot and said he saw where he ran. We waited a little bit and went to check for blood but saw nothing where the deer was standing. I was a little worried but told my son to walk where he saw the deer run. About 10 feet later he saw blood but not much and by this time it was DARK. We looked a little more as we waited for others to bring better flashlights. We didn’t find any more blood as I told my son to go where you thought you saw the deer go but no luck finding him (I was starting to get a little worried). Then the reinforcements showed up with better lights and more eyes. We went back to where we saw the first spot of blood and then saw another. And another. We had a trail. About 50 yards in my stepson said look at this big pile of poop…oh, there he is…lol.

Not that it matters 1 bit but he scored a little over 100” (much better than my first deer) and weighed in just shy of 150 lbs. My son shot him at 10 yards with my 300 blackout. He was quartering away and the entry got liver with the exit taking out lungs and heart. I don’t know how the deer made it that far. The blood trail wasn’t that great in the dark but we went back out Sunday morning to gather the markers and there was a lot more blood than we saw the night before.

What a relief and I have never been that happy for any of the deer I’ve shot. I couldn’t be more proud of my son for the persistence, patience and long hours in the stand and patience to make the right shot. Congrats buddy!! I can’t wait to get him on my son’s wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5099.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	25166868
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5101.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	25166869

Link to original thread:

Congrats to him!