Help Choosing a Scope... Or Two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm not exactly ready to buy a scope but MidwayUSA (I know the link is different site) is having a sale on select, in stock VX1s and 2s. I can't afford NOT to buy one lol

Shop Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm Adjustable Objective Target Rifle Scope | 4.7 Star Rating on 52 Reviews for Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm Adjustable Objective Target Rifle Scope + Free Shipping over $49.

Midway has the VX2 Target 6-18x40 w/ fine duplex reticle for ~$360 w/ free shipping. I'd include the link but the site won't work on my PC. My knowledge of long range scopes is minimal. Zero stops, turret use, etc. I've always been a "set it and forget it" guy. My intent is to eventually stretch out the 6.5cm. Hopefully out to 500 though I'm sure my abilities will limit distances, at least initially. My question is, will this scope serve that purpose? I've always been a bit of a Leupold snob, admittedly. Is there another scope in the $500 price range that will better serve my purposes? Again, Range out to 500+ (eventually) and the occasional pig from a stand... Are my expectations even realistic? Like I said, I've always been a "VX2 3-9" guy never exceeding 200 yards.

Any recommendations, advice, and info welcome!

TIA
    -Tim
    Last edited by BlackHogDown; 01-26-2018, 10:42 AM.

Bump. There are a couple guys, in particular, from whom I'd like to hear an opinion.

Comment

The guys at Vortex took a Ruger American Predator and threw on a Vortex Crossfire and were hitting steel plates at 1000yds within a few shots.
      I would consider the Leupold a more capable scope than the cheaper Vortex.

Comment

Hoping that link works I set some filters on optics planet. Go to some places like optics planet and set you top dollar you want to spend a shop through there. Things I consider is what is the purpose? Just a bench range gun? Hunting use say sit in a blind or pack in spot and stalk? etc. I personally don't want anything less that a 44mm objective mainly 50mm, I like to have a 30mm tube also. Those 2 things are for light transmission and more travel in your adjustments(tube size). I like decent magnification so at least 10x for 500 yds. I don't like taller turrets on scope I will throw in a pack and spot stalk hunt with. If it wasn't made at least in Philippines or Japan I wouldn't get it. China is junk in the long run. I do own a few optics made and manufactured in China but they are lacking when compared to others. When you are talking about dialing to distance and for wind you will want something that has REPEATABLE turrets that track well. Vortex Sightron SWFA Primary Arms(decent china stuff) have tracked very well for me so far and are repeatable. I am currently getting ready to test a VX5 HD as well. I haven't really seen anything bad about Nikon tracking and repeatability. I also like to have a standard subtension reticle and I prefer MOA simpler math and more relatable. I like windage and elevation suntensions in my reticle as well. on I have bee impressed with is the Sightron Stac 4-16x42 it doesn't have the 44mm obj but a 30mm tube. I have one on a cheapo Remington 783 308win project I worked on and it has worked flawlessly out to 1000 and back I got it for I think $390.

Nikon
        Leupold
        Vortex
        Sightron
        SWFA
        Burris
        Primary Arms

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
          https://www.opticsplanet.com/riflesc...eiss-905785364

Hoping that link works I set some filters on optics planet. Go to some places like optics planet and set you top dollar you want to spend a shop through there. Things I consider is what is the purpose? Just a bench range gun? Hunting use say sit in a blind or pack in spot and stalk? etc. I personally don't want anything less that a 44mm objective mainly 50mm, I like to have a 30mm tube also. Those 2 things are for light transmission and more travel in your adjustments(tube size). I like decent magnification so at least 10x for 500 yds. I don't like taller turrets on scope I will throw in a pack and spot stalk hunt with. If it wasn't made at least in Philippines or Japan I wouldn't get it. China is junk in the long run. I do own a few optics made and manufactured in China but they are lacking when compared to others. When you are talking about dialing to distance and for wind you will want something that has REPEATABLE turrets that track well. Vortex Sightron SWFA Primary Arms(decent china stuff) have tracked very well for me so far and are repeatable. I am currently getting ready to test a VX5 HD as well. I haven't really seen anything bad about Nikon tracking and repeatability. I also like to have a standard subtension reticle and I prefer MOA simpler math and more relatable. I like windage and elevation suntensions in my reticle as well. on I have bee impressed with is the Sightron Stac 4-16x42 it doesn't have the 44mm obj but a 30mm tube. I have one on a cheapo Remington 783 308win project I worked on and it has worked flawlessly out to 1000 and back I got it for I think $390.

Nikon
          Leupold
          Vortex
          Sightron
          SWFA
          Burris
          Primary Arms
          Hey thanks, DD. Some good info there. I'd definitely like to avoid cheap glass. Also, my intent is to use the gun on the range 90% of the time. Otherwise it'll be in a box blind. Any insight on the "tracking and repeatability" of the scope in question?

Comment

I don't have any personal experience with it. Leupold's lower end scopes don't have the best but not the worst tracking reputation out there. It probably wouldn't hurt to look through some of the reviews on midway and optics planet and see if anyone says anything about it. I bet for what you are wanting you wont have any issues with it. With the one inch tube you should be able to dial up do 750-900 yards with it. If you are wanting to go further just put like a 20 moa base rail on it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
              So I'm not exactly ready to buy a scope but MidwayUSA (I know the link is different site) is having a sale on select, in stock VX1s and 2s. I can't afford NOT to buy one lol

Shop Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm Adjustable Objective Target Rifle Scope | 4.7 Star Rating on 52 Reviews for Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm Adjustable Objective Target Rifle Scope + Free Shipping over $49.

Midway has the VX2 Target 6-18x40 w/ fine duplex reticle for ~$360 w/ free shipping. I'd include the link but the site won't work on my PC. My knowledge of long range scopes is minimal. Zero stops, turret use, etc. I've always been a "set it and forget it" guy. My intent is to eventually stretch out the 6.5cm. Hopefully out to 500 though I'm sure my abilities will limit distances, at least initially. My question is, will this scope serve that purpose? I've always been a bit of a Leupold snob, admittedly. Is there another scope in the $500 price range that will better serve my purposes? Again, Range out to 500+ (eventually) and the occasional pig from a stand... Are my expectations even realistic? Like I said, I've always been a "VX2 3-9" guy never exceeding 200 yards.

Any recommendations, advice, and info welcome!

TIA

-Tim

Before you plop down the cash on a VX1 or VX2, look at the new VX Freedom line. Basically the VX Freedom is replacing the VX1 & 2 and uses VX3 glass.

This is info straight from the Leupold engineers at SHOT show this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

SWFA Super sniper scopes are worth checking out as well.

Comment

Working...
                X