TPWD Gus Engeling Archery Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Gus Engeling Archery Deer

Well I drew the Archery Hunt (either sex) and I'm pretty excited but also have zero experience hunting in East Texas - even though I'm not sure if Cayuga is East Texas proper, it's still further east than I've ever been.

Anybody have any experience in the area that they might be willing to share? I've searched the forum and found a few interesting posts but not much with specific information. It seems that there are good bucks there if you've got the know-how.

I believe the Archery Hunt is the first hunt date offered (being prior to the rifle/youth/anterless hunts)

Any information would be appreciated!

Everything I've heard indicate there are some good deer in there but it's a tough hunt. Good luck!

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you. Drew Richland Creek but am not used to hunting east Tx. Gonna have to get used to all the trees!

Comment

I heard from an old sage that I should find a live oak thats dropping acorns and sit on it all day. Sounds great in theory but from the satellite it looks like the whole dang place is oak trees.

Also as a side note I guess this can be a Gus Engeling Archery 2017 general thread as well.
        Last edited by Hank Hill; 08-17-2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Find a big ole oak tree and sit all day long. Get as high as possible.

As said above find one that is dropping acorns and is on a hill or has a slope for water to run off instead of holding water where acorn could spoil.

If you can find one on a ridge line is even better.
          Last edited by BIGTERRY75; 08-17-2017, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I squirrel hunted up there years back, my only experience with that unit... Great looking Woods though, hardwood bottoms with lots of big Oaks. As far as what to expect it's going to be your typical East Texas deal. You might go out there and see absolutely nothing, then again a 160 might stroll by at 20 yards...

Definitely stay put a little longer in the mornings, them big boys like to get up and cruise.. Some of the biggest deer ive seen move in that 9 to 11am window... Good Luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Hill View Post
              Well I drew the Archery Hunt (either sex) and I'm pretty excited but also have zero experience hunting in East Texas - even though I'm not sure if Cayuga is East Texas proper, it's still further east than I've ever been.

Anybody have any experience in the area that they might be willing to share? I've searched the forum and found a few interesting posts but not much with specific information. It seems that there are good bucks there if you've got the know-how.

I believe the Archery Hunt is the first hunt date offered (being prior to the rifle/youth/anterless hunts)

Any information would be appreciated!
              I drew GE last year. PM me I'll be glad to share.

Comment

PM Sent

Comment

Originally posted by BIGTERRY75 View Post
                  Find a big ole oak tree and sit all day long. Get as high as possible.

As said above find one that is dropping acorns and is on a hill or has a slope for water to run off instead of holding water where acorn could spoil.

If you can find one on a ridge line is even better.
                  Are there pine trees out there or is it mostly scrub oak?

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Hill View Post
                    PM Sent
                    PM replied..

Comment

I sent you a pm

Comment

I drive through there daily going to Fairfield and back, seen lots of nice deer, turkeys too, and alligator's along Catfish creek. Oh and plenty of pigs...

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
                          Everything I've heard indicate there are some good deer in there but it's a tough hunt. Good luck!
                          Hunted the youth gun hunt (with my son) a few years and agree with the above. Not a high percentage place but the chances for a big one are there. They really stress they only want mature (4.5 yr old) bucks or better.

Depending upon which compartment, you are probably going to have alot of oak trees or a sh** load of oak trees. I believe that is one of the reasons it is a tougher hunt. Not alot of pines trees.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
                            Hunted the youth gun hunt (with my son) a few years and agree with the above. Not a high percentage place but the chances for a big one are there. They really stress they only want mature (4.5 yr old) bucks or better.

Depending upon which compartment, you are probably going to have alot of oak trees or a sh** load of oak trees. I believe that is one of the reasons it is a tougher hunt. Not alot of pines trees.
                            That's about what I figured. I went with a buddy down to the drawn Nilgai hunt in south texas last year - and while it wasn't oak trees - the thicket was dense, bordering on impenetrable.

I'm no stranger to still hunting, but I worry about how to effectively prescout if you have to draw a compartment the day of the hunt.

Comment

I have hunted both places, Gus and Richland Creek. Climbers and/or lock on stands is what you need. Once you get your compartment, do a speed scout. Find 2 or 3 stand sites. I always have at least 2 stand sites to choose from. Look for stand sites that you do not have to put in a lot of work like cutting shooting lanes. Find the sign, you will find the deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X