Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 01-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
huntxtrm
Eight Point

Hunt In: Graham
Question Lookin for Hogs?

I'm new to this forum, and to public hunting. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me to some good hog huntin around north central texas. I live in the alvarado area(20 miles south of fort worth). I have the permit just don't have the fogiest were to go. I've heard sam houston national forest, richland creek wma, and pat mayes. I figured it would be better towards louisianna? I dont mind driving a couple of hours for some good hunting. Please help
huntxtrm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Hog_Hunter
Eight Point

Lake Granger and Lake Somerville. I have killed a bunch of hogs off both these places. They are both pretty far from you, but they are the tops areas to shoot piggies.
Hog_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
huntxtrm
Eight Point

Smile tell me more!

What is the terrain like at these 2 places, are climbin stands good, or ground blinds. Can you mountain bike in and camp. Holler at ya
Old 01-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
boss bowman
Banned!!!

Richlands got lots of hogs, but they actually have a hog season so you can't do it year round, and you'll have to fight the shotgun hunters as well, but there are hogs there.
boss bowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
huntxtrm
Eight Point

Default Do you mean muzzle loaders

Do you mean muzzle loaders, or am i looking at the wrong map. Ground blind, climber, or stalk.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
bowhunter77

Default hog hunting

lake somerville is a very sompy area at times and it is very thick lots of creeks run through there good paths to walk and if you go there is good fishing there in the spring there is two areas to hunt one is nails creek and i dont know the name of the other but there are lots of hogs tree stands and popups are good but a great area to hunt hogs
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
huntxtrm
Eight Point

i'm gonna hafta try that one out, doesn't look to far off. maybe a couple of hours. Thanks lots. anybody been to east texas
Old 01-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Hog_Hunter
Eight Point

Don't go to East Texas! The mosquitos will kidnap you! Seriously the love bugs are bad out there.

As for Somerville you have Nails Creek Unit and Yegua Creek Unit. It is a very swampy area, but there are alot of hogs in both units.

If you decide to go out there let me know. I am always up for hog huntin
Old 01-18-2007, 01:40 AM   #9
bbinford
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba Co./Freestone Co./Leon Co.

I live in College Station. How would I go about getting info on where to hunt at Somerville? Is there any other public land near by this area?

Last edited by bbinford; 01-18-2007 at 01:43 AM.
bbinford is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #10
Bloodhound
Eight Point

bbinford, you live close to the Somerville WMA. You need to buy the $48 Annual Public Hunting Permit. You can buy them anywhere you get a hunting license. The map booklet will be mailed to you unless you buy the permit at the Headquarters in Austin, in which case, you'll get the map booklet right away.

The only other location close to you is Granger WMA. However, you shouldn't be more than 3 hours from some of the east TX locations such as the Sam Houston National Forest, the Davy Crockett NF, & the Angelina NF locations. When you get the map booklet, you'll see all your possibilities.

Somerville has trees that are perfect for a climbing treestand. There are some big bucks there. Someday I'd like to really get to know that area.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
bbinford
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba Co./Freestone Co./Leon Co.

Thanks Bloodhound! If the Sam Houston NF is in the Huntsville Montgomery area, it's only about an hour away.
bbinford is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
huntxtrm
Eight Point

Sam Houston is a place I'd like to try also. I've driven through there, it looks awesome. It is close to the huntsville area. Does anybody have any info or experiences at sam houston. How is the huntin
Old 01-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #13
Hog_Hunter
Eight Point

Its pretty good during the bow season. But I sure won't ever try to hunt out there during the general season again. I prefer Somerville.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
Bloodhound
Eight Point

The SHNF has at least one archery only area called the Cagle area. You'll be safe in there, Justin.

I forget when hog season ends in the SHNF. It's not year-round like Somerville & Granger. I hunted there in October of 2003 - my first year bowhunting. It's a great place. I have yet to go back but I want to.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
Cuz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central & West TX

I have a 100 acre farm in Thornton.About 1 hour south of Alvarado.We got lots of hogs ! ! ! We are about 45 min south of Richland.

Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #16
Bloodhound
Eight Point

Cuzins8, why don't you email huntxtrm and invite him over for a hog hunt?!!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:47 AM   #17
bowhuntermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado

If you do not mind a drive, try Alazan WMA. I hunted there a LOT during college (between Nacogdoches and Lufkin) and the place is overrun with pork!
bowhuntermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #18
Pat Miller
Eight Point

I've heard that Navarro Mills Lake (which is not far from you HuntTxTrm) has the highest concentration of hogs in the state. It's an Army Corp of Engineers lake just a bit east of Hillsboro. I've been meaning to check it out myself in the very near future (before the snakes get active!) as I'd not only enjoy extending my hunting time, I'd really love to get some good video of hogs and possilby hog hunting.
Pat Miller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #19
Fig
Ten Point

I just looked up Navarro Mills...looks like they haven't updated their website. I am going to call them tomorrow. Is there interest in getting together for a group hog hunt?
Fig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
Sean
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig View Post
I just looked up Navarro Mills...looks like they haven't updated their website. I am going to call them tomorrow. Is there interest in getting together for a group hog hunt?
Yep! Just tell me what I need to hunt there and when.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #21
boss bowman
Banned!!!

Quote:
I've heard that Navarro Mills Lake (which is not far from you HuntTxTrm) has the highest concentration of hogs in the state. It's an Army Corp of Engineers lake just a bit east of Hillsboro. I've been meaning to check it out myself in the very near future (before the snakes get active!) as I'd not only enjoy extending my hunting time, I'd really love to get some good video of hogs and possilby hog hunting.
You hit the nail on the head, I live 20 minutes from the pelham boat ramp on navarro mills. They are currently having severe problems with hogs there are so many of them, they have actually started allowing registered hunters to put out hog traps, you can only bait with diesel soaked corn so you don't catch any deer (there are very very few deer in the area but they still do this as a safety precaution). I haven't registered this year but we did last year so we could duck hunt out there, all you have to do is go to the corp of engineers office off hwy 31 behind the dam to get a free permit. Hunting may be done with a shotgun or archery equiptment only. Heres a link to the website.

http://swf67.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/navarro/hunting.htm

Last edited by boss bowman; 01-22-2007 at 07:38 PM.
boss bowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2007, 10:52 PM   #22
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: Only my backyard!

Hey BBinford, give me a holler if you want to give Somerville a try. I'm new to this gig, but would like a nearby hunt like that! Maybe we could talk Hog Hunter into "guiding" us.

And Fig, I see you are trying to line up another hunt...Navarro sounds good too!
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #23
lbbf
Ten Point

Is anyone up for a hunt at Sommerville this weekend? I've been given a kitchen pass and would like to see if I can finally get something with my bow. I'm open for most places withing a couple of hours from Houston.
lbbf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top