Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 07-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
Longstick
Ten Point

Default Anyone hunt Unit 31?

am getting back to the grasslands after hunting leases for a few years and this area looks appealing to me cause of the creeks and looks like there should be plenty of water<PLENTY EVERYWHERE I imagine> Close to a camping area and the BIG question..are there ANY trees worthy of using a climbing stand ?
Longstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
HSULongbow
Six Point

Hunt In: Taylor County

Hey longstick,
it is hard to find a good straight tree for a climbing stand, but you can if you go deep into the woods along one of the creeks. You will also find that unit 31 is pretty popular to hunt, I'm afraid. After a couple of weekends the deer seem to go nocturnal pretty quick. If you don't get lucky during bow season, forget it during the open season. Shotgunners and muzzle loaders everywhere, stomping through your carefully planned spot during the critical morning hours that you thought you'd see your deer you scouted in the off-season. I guess I sound frustrated, but I know people have indeed scored out there, just not me. I got my deer on private property last year thanks to a friend my wife works with. Unit 31 is beautiful, and it is fun to camp and meet other bowhunters. Best of luck.
HSULongbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

the more remote the better chances you have. what HSU said!!
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Longstick
Ten Point

was told you could camp anywhere...not necessarily in a camping area ...true??? Just not over 3 days. I dont own any kind of guns exceptin a pistol or two and a bird gun
Old 07-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
Pat Miller
Eight Point

I can't place unit 31 and right now I'm too lazy to walk out to the truck to look at my map! Is that where Cottonwood Lake is and all the 900 FS roads are....!
If it is you can camp anywhere but you can't drive just anywhere. And the length of camping 'in one spot' is restricted to 2 weeks, not 3 days.
If that is the big unit around Cottonwood it is heavily hunted but like anywhere thru there you just have to scout, scout and more scout and there are parts of it that you can still do well in even during gun season but you have to get there early, stay late, and walk A LONG WAY to hit those far corners that most people don't bother with!
Pat Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Longstick
Ten Point

sounds like some real good advice Pat, am looking at the Hennesy Hammock which I ran across in a thread in Trad Talk...get out to the far cornors and STAY

Last edited by Longstick; 07-04-2007 at 11:08 AM. Reason: cant spell today
Old 07-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
buzzcut
Ten Point

Anybody heard if the antler restrictions "spread" to Wise county this year?
buzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
Longstick
Ten Point

Pat..it is where ya thinking,and maybe froggy will see this and enlighten us on the antler restrictions
Old 07-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #9
Pat Miller
Eight Point

I'm sure the antler restrictions will be well publisized if they are going to be instituted in other new counties.
I'll just wait to see where when I buy my new hunting license on August 1st! (or whenever they begin to be sold!)
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #10
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

antler restrictions are not in wise county. yet...
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #11
eradicator
Pope & Young

I believe licenses always are ready on the 15th of August. Somebody please correct me if this is wrong. As far as LBJ, unit 31 is always crowded, no matter what season. Good luck and shoot straight.
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
Longstick
Ten Point

Looks like 31's a BAD choice, found a nice draw on google earth looks like but guess I better leave it
Old 07-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
eradicator
Pope & Young

Nice diversion tactic. I like it!
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #14
Buck-a-Do
Six Point

But then again a lot of hunting pressure makes the deer move to your area if you can find one with little traffic. I am with Pat on this, walk walk walk and then walk some more to get back in them little corners where no one likes to walk to. I have a couple of corners I like walking to that are away from everyone, but if they come my way, I slip back deep in the woods where it gets so thick they do not come in. I have a couple of places this year, if the creeks are dry, that I am going to try out that are off the beaten path and are very thick. I will try it out for bow season first and see what I see and then back with my black powder. Yes I am one of those that uses a gun to hunt with as I am not that good with my bow as of yet. (missed 3 doe at an average of 12 yards). Last season I missed 2 nice bucks as my powder pellets got moist and all they got was a face full of smoke. This year I use granulated powder as it seems to keep dryer and fires better. ( will pack my black powder .44 cal pistol for back up) It is still over 2 months away and I am excited, may not hunt that much this year as I did last season but every hour in the woods is well worth it.
Buck-a-Do is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #15
BrianW
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Going Public..

If i remember correctly a 150 class deer was taken out of unit 31 as told by a forest worker...SO i wouldnt stray too far from 31...Brian
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #16
buzzcut
Ten Point

I'm not trying to "lock horns" with you blackpowder guys,but I sure would like to see LBJ Grasslands go to archery only AND adopt the antler restrictions.Might take 4 or 5 years,but I think the hunting would be unbelievable if that were to come to pass.
buzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #17
Pat Miller
Eight Point

I don't particularly care about LBJ going to archery only. It's plenty big for shotgun\blackpowder. I don't care whether they go to the antler restrictions either. There's plenty of big deer there, we've all seen them and because of the hunting pressure they are under, they are wary!
And that is what makes us better hunters -----having to figure them out to score!
It's either that or dumb luck when we bag one!
I'm not even saying that public lands hunters are better than all the others....it's just we work harder and I also think we appreciate the score in a different way!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #18
Buck-a-Do
Six Point

AMEN brother Pat. I feel like you do, it is hard work getting close to a LBJ buck, but when one finally goes down under your bow or gun, it is truly a great trophy. Sometimes I wish they would go with restrictions on the antlers, I saw a few nice sixes last season that would be fine bucks this season. But if they don't I know one will fall from the arrow or bullet of one of the fine hunters out at LBJ.

Dave you and Toona are one of the fine hunters I am referring to. We need a hot weather extreme LBJ hunt, what ya say? Might find a pig or two since we have had all this wet weather, if not tree rats and fish will be the main course.
Buck-a-Do is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top