Talk me out of .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    hahaha I know. but thanks to some of your input and my buddies I am really thinking about the 7-08. I know most shots will be close but it will be fun to try to hit steel at 1000 and something I would like to work up to. I know shooting factory ammo isn't ideal I am just wanting a good all around gun and think either will work.
    Regardless of opinion. A 308 struggles at 1000. Most loads go subsonic at 750-800. I’ve shot one a lot further. And know lots of guys that have shot to a mile with them in 16-18” guns. But the wind and elevation holds were absolutely insane lol.

Comment

Wait, now it's a 1000 yard gun? I take back my comment about "come on guys, he just wants a deer rifle".

7-08 is a great cartridge but would *not* be my first choice at 1k. Neither would .308.

6.5x284/264WM, 7mag/280AI, or 300W(S)M depending on your preferred blend of BC vs. wind bucking vs. recoil

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
        I can't think of one....proceed.
        Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
        Realize that the 6.5 Creed is guaranteed to do the following.

1. Bring World Peace
        2, Cure Cancer
        3. Feed the Hungry
        4. House the Homeless
        5. Solve poverty
        6. Clean the Oceans
        7. Stop Climate Change
        8. Make Cats and Dogs Get along.
        9. Make wives approve of any gun purchases.

We all need to embrace this.

joking aside
        I love my .308 and will do everything you are asking.
        x2!

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
          Wait, now it's a 1000 yard gun? I take back my comment about "come on guys, he just wants a deer rifle".

7-08 is a great cartridge but would *not* be my first choice at 1k. Neither would .308.

6.5x284/264WM, 7mag/280AI, or 300W(S)M depending on your preferred blend of BC vs. wind bucking vs. recoil
          Haha. I caught his earlier comment about playing out further. Like I said, I know what that turns into. Obviously my choice is 7 mag for LR work. But not factory ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Haha. I caught his earlier comment about playing out further. Like I said, I know what that turns into. Obviously my choice is 7 mag for LR work. But not factory ammo.
            And if I am playing at long range the .300 RUM comes out and eats peoples lunch.

Comment

Entertaining discussion, as always. I won't try to talk you out of 308. I would try to talk you into cutting another 2-4 inches off the barrel if you intend to run suppressed all the time. As all the ballistics hawks have pointed out, the 308 just can't win any efficiency arguments against faster rounds with higher BC shooting at long range. However, once you start moving toward shorter barrels, there is an argument to be made for 308 efficiency shooting at moderate range. Don't get me wrong, physics is physics and starting FPS is what it is. But 308 does theoretically show better efficiency (less loss per inch of barrel) in shorter barrels. This is just based on case capacity vs bore diameter. This does not mean that at any point on a trajectory table the 308 will somehow surpass the hotrod calibers. The hotrod caliber will be blowing more fireball out the end of the barrel, but that projectile will still be moving faster and have higher BC.

OP makes it sound like money is non-issue and he wants what he wants. Cool! Do just that! Gun #1 is a hunting handy 16-18" 308 with suppressor for 400 yards and in. Gun #2 is one of the longer, sexier hotrods for those times when you want to stretch your legs a little bit. The two gun solution also allows the user to mount job specific glass for each rifle instead of trying to do both jobs okay but neither well.

Or you can just accept the fact that the internet has spoken and the 6.5 creed has been crowned as the now and forever pinnacle of firearms technology, suitable for everything from close range zombie combat to harvesting mosquitoes at 1000 yards.
              Last edited by Evolver; 02-13-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

And if I am playing at long range the .300 RUM comes out and eats peoples lunch.
                What bullet and FPS are you running?

Comment

What bullet and FPS are you running?
                  210gr Berger VLD (0.625 G1) at about 3050. I can probably get more velocity but at this I am one hole at 100 and about 2" groups at 300.

Now that I have my labradar I am planning on nailing the Velocity numbers down a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolver View Post
                    Entertaining discussion, as always. I won't try to talk you out of 308. I would try to talk you into cutting another 2-4 inches off the barrel if you intend to run suppressed all the time. As all the ballistics hawks have pointed out, the 308 just can't win any efficiency arguments against faster rounds with higher BC shooting at long range. However, once you start moving toward shorter barrels, there is an argument to be made for 308 efficiency shooting at moderate range. Don't get me wrong, physics is physics and starting FPS is what it is. But 308 does theoretically show better efficiency (less loss per inch of barrel) in shorter barrels. This is just based on case capacity vs bore diameter. This does not mean that at any point on a trajectory table the 308 will somehow surpass the hotrod calibers. The hotrod caliber will be blowing more fireball out the end of the barrel, but that projectile will still be moving faster and have higher BC.

OP makes it sound like money is non-issue and he wants what he wants. Cool! Do just that! Gun #1 is a hunting handy 16-18" 308 with suppressor for 400 yards and in. Gun #2 is one of the longer, sexier hotrods for those times when you want to stretch your legs a little bit. The two gun solution also allows the user to mount job specific glass for each rifle instead of trying to do both jobs okay but neither well.

Or you can just accept the fact that the internet has spoken and the 6.5 creed has been crowned as the now and forever pinnacle of firearms technology, suitable for everything from close range zombie combat to harvesting mosquitoes at 1000 yards.
                    This is what I was thinking as well.

Comment

210gr Berger VLD (0.625 G1) at about 3050. I can probably get more velocity but at this I am one hole at 100 and about 2" groups at 300.

Now that I have my labradar I am planning on nailing the Velocity numbers down a little better.
                      Nice!! 180 VLD at 3070 here. So idk about eating my whole lunch

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                        About to get me a new gun built. I just sold a semi custom .308 because I just want to do something different in looks and was thinking of a full on custom this time.

I do not reload and have zero plans of doing so in the near future so off the shelf ammo is what I want, even though I order most of mine from Dallas reloads.

I will sometimes try to shoot paper and stretch the legs a little at longer distances but most shots hunting will be no further than 300.

Gun will be suppressed and a 20' or shorter barrel is ideal.

Just sometimes think maybe I should get something different but I just cant come up with a good reason why so wanted to see what everyone here thought!
                        1000 was not mentioned!
                        My choices for 1000 to 1200 would be 7mm mag or 300 win mag

Comment

Nice!! 180 VLD at 3070 here. So idk about eating my whole lunch
                          I would not want to be on the receiving end of either.

I have seen what my bullet does at 100yds............horror movies could be made from it.

Comment

Detracting from the original topic a bit but since you mentioned labradar, did you know that it will only pick up a 30 cal bullet out to 60 yards reliably and 80 yards on a perfect day?

If that’s the case, how does it accurately plot the trajectory at say 1000?

Seems like if it isn’t capturing actual velocity then it’s only marginally better than the other hypothetical ballistic charts (even though they have been pretty accurate for me).

I wanted to buy one but after talking to the guys at shot show, I decided to hold off a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

For your usage I agree a 308 or 6.5 creed just do to ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                Detracting from the original topic a bit but since you mentioned labradar, did you know that it will only pick up a 30 cal bullet out to 60 yards reliably and 80 yards on a perfect day?

If that’s the case, how does it accurately plot the trajectory at say 1000?

Seems like if it isn’t capturing actual velocity then it’s only marginally better than the other hypothetical ballistic charts (even though they have been pretty accurate for me).

I wanted to buy one but after talking to the guys at shot show, I decided to hold off a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                1. My old chronograph sucks.
                                2. My old chronograph did not do strings
                                3. My old chronograph missed shots
                                4. My old chronograph sucks
                                5. My old chronograph does not do SD and I am too lazy to manually calc it.
                                6. My old chronograph does not do multiple data.
                                7. My old chronograph sucks.
                                8. My chronograph was only consistent on overcast days.

I needed a new one and decided to go this way. And did I mention......my chronograph sucks.

That is how it helps.....better more consistent velocity data at the beginning of the arc. Down range is not why I got it. I got it because my chronograph sucks.

To sum this up.......my chronograph sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X