Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wonder what the waste pits did to Galveston after Harvey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder what the waste pits did to Galveston after Harvey?

There has been areas on that side of the world for years they didn't recommend eating fish from

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      There has been areas on that side of the world for years they didn't recommend eating fish from

yep

Comment

I'll catch but have not eaten trout from Galveston for over 10yrs. Plus oysters...
        Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Comment

Originally posted by JANKEII View Post
          I'll catch but have not eaten trout from Galveston for over 10yrs. Plus oysters...
          Galveston Bay is a big bay. There are parts of West Galveston Bay that are 60 miles from the waste pits.

Comment

Specifically, the large volume of water that came down the SJR during Harvey did erode one portion of the protective cap keeping the waste pits contained, but the cap has already been repaired. The plan going forward is to construct one or more large cofferdams around the pits and completely excavate and replace them. This is all readily available on EPA’s website. The area north of I-10 is not the only area that will be removed. There is also a larger, but more stable, pit south of I-10 along the last section of Market Street before it dead ends.

The fish consumption advisory has been in place for several years and is unrelated to Harvey.

Anyone who is interested or concerned can attend the public meetings EPA holds to inform the community. The meetings have been held in The Highlands but EPA is expanding its outreach to Galveston to include communities further downstream of the pits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
              Galveston Bay is a big bay. There are parts of West Galveston Bay that are 60 miles from the waste pits.
              I don't think 600 miles would make a difference. EPA says there are no safe waters in the lower 48, as far as fish consumption.

Comment

Working...
              X