Any electricians here? (light problems)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any electricians here? (light problems)

In one of our bedrooms, we have a normal, 4-bulb light fixture on a Hunter ceiling fan. One wall switch turns on the lights, the other turns on the fan. The bulbs are standard cone-shaped ceiling fan bulbs. All has worked well for 8 years.

About a week ago, I started noticing a "delay" when I turned on the lights. I'd hit the wall switch and they'd come on 1 or 2 seconds later. A few days later, they'd come on after 5 or 6 minutes. Seems like now, it comes on after 3 or 4 minutes, then starts flickering on and off about twice per second.

The fan works fine.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Ruark; 11-23-2017, 01:04 PM.

might be a old switch going bad?

Comment

Batteries going dead?

Comment

There is a current limiter in newer fans that causes a delay. Normally it is a second or so. Really annoying. I have heard of people cutting them out and wiring around them. Maybe it is going bad?

Comment

Many builders and electricians use stab wiring methods to wire receptacles(plugs) and stab wire the neutrals(white wire) also, that carry the neutrals through the device. I have found from time to time that those neutrals burn out from making minimal connections. This could cause a fire with arcing. That would be my first spot to check.

Comment

Likely bad connection, or worn out switch.

Comment

This.
              Originally posted by topshot View Post

Comment

I had the same situation. Replaced the wall switch and all was good.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                  I had the same situation. Replaced the wall switch and all was good.
                  Yeah, I'm thinking of doing that as a Plan A, hopefully to avoid going into the wiring.

Comment

If you push on or wiggle the switch and that makes the light come on or go off, then for sure you have a loose wire or bad switch. I would replace the switch if this happens.

Comment

Nope, don’t like electricity.

Comment

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                          Many builders and electricians use stab wiring methods to wire receptacles(plugs) and stab wire the neutrals(white wire) also, that carry the neutrals through the device. I have found from time to time that those neutrals burn out from making minimal connections. This could cause a fire with arcing. That would be my first spot to check.
                          Those things need to be outlawed.

Comment

This^^^^^

Comment

I hope it's just a switch. Now it's very consistent in what happens. Turn it on, nothing. After about 1 minute, it starts flashing about twice per second, very steady, like a strobe light.

Comment

Working...
                              X