How not to have a successful first trad hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How not to have a successful first trad hunt

Well, my 2018 trad goal was to get comfortable enough to take a stickbow into the woods. Today, I made the leap. I have been working on a good arrow build for my Browning Nomad that I’ve had for about 3 years, and finally have a setup that I feel confident hunting with. Arrows are flying great, and the broadheads are impacting where the field points are. I set up a new stand on my lease a few weeks back as a “trad only” stand. I have a feeder on a heavily-traveled game trail that opens into a small clearing. My tower stand affords me several good shooting lanes, all of which provide shots at 13 yards or less. The kill shot at the feeder is 9 yards.

I made the decision last night that it was time. Checked the weather and wind forecast, and everything was perfect for a sit in the new stand this morning. I’m up early, and ready to get going. Close the gate behind me at the lease, and this Is where it goes wrong... I had done one previous “test-sit” one evening last week with my wheel bow as a dry run. The setup is not far from the main gate, and I didn’t anticipate having any trouble finding it in the dark—boy was I wrong. Long story short, I ended up circling in the woods for about five minutes. The oak leaves on the ground were crunchy, and I felt like any water buffalo crashing around in the brush. Then I hear the does start blowing.... at that point I feel pretty resigned to the fact that my first trad Hunt is going down the drain. I finally got in the stand, settled in, and knocked an arrow—only to hear it drop, and go skipping down the side of the tower stand. It sounded like a bowling ball bouncing it’s way down.

So, here I sit on my first day with trad gear (or what’s left of it). Looks like I’ll have plenty of time for typing lengthy posts on TBH, checking FB, and dreaming about my next trad hunt where I don’t ruin my chances from the outset. Oh well, that’s why they call it hunting, not killing.

I’ll orobably knock it off early this morning and fill the feeders and do some stand, camera and lease maintenance.

—Jaybird

Sounds better than being at work.... like me

Comment

Hang in there. They may surprise you. Just remember to focus on your shot sequence when the come in.

Gary

Comment

And remember that just getting to that point where you took that trad equipment to the blind is a good step. I've sat in the blind several times, deer well within range, lacking the confidence to try the shot. Knowing it's a chip shot at home but after screwing up the first couple of animals I was really hesitant to take a shot. All of it will come together for you but there is a learning curve. Part of that is the arrow nock is looser than with a compound but it has to be. That means you have to deal with it a bit different than with a compound. Several little things that we have to adjust. But you'll get there with it and it will be sweet when you do.

Gary

Comment

Ha! Sorry it turned out the way it did, but I’m laughing with you, not at you!!!!!!

I have done every one of those things at some point or another. Don’t sweat it! Just get back out there and try again (maybe in the afternoon next time [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]).

Good luck on your next attempt!!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Your "first" Trad hunt is not unlike so many of us. Can't tell you how many times I have dropped an arrow off the shelf and hear it clanging down the ladder. All is not lost though. With time, you will get the do's and don'ts while Trad hunting. Just remember to bend at the waist and pick a spot "LOW" in the chest cavity. Even at 9 yds. they will most likely duck the arrow. The most important things are to have fun and don't get frustrated. Enjoy the journey.

Doug

Comment

Sounds like my normal hunt. haha I wish I had a dollar for every arrow I'd dropped out of the stand. Wait until it happens when you're drawing on a deer...…...that's always real funny. It'll all be worth it when it comes together for you. Good Luck!! I feel like we'll be seeing LDP's before long.

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
                Your "first" Trad hunt is not unlike so many of us. Can't tell you how many times I have dropped an arrow off the shelf and hear it clanging down the ladder. All is not lost though. With time, you will get the do's and don'ts while Trad hunting. Just remember to bend at the waist and pick a spot "LOW" in the chest cavity. Even at 9 yds. they will most likely duck the arrow. The most important things are to have fun and don't get frustrated. Enjoy the journey.

Doug
                Best advice ever right here

Comment

Been there and done every bit of that. But, just knowing the trad bow is in my lap makes it all worth it.

Comment

That stuff just happens! I had an arrow pop off the string as I started to draw on a hog last Saturday. Stick with it!

Comment

We’ve all been there. Heck, I’ve even dropped my bow before! Had to climb down to get it lol
                      Hang in there. The rewards are worth it!

Comment

The arrow falling got me once early on too. Only I was raising my bow arm to point towards a doe and the arrow fell and stuck perfectly in the ground with the feathers up. It made a nice white flag for the doe to see and I doubt she stopped running until she hit the county line.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, fellas. I have no intention of ever giving up. My daughter will be home from college this week, and we'll definitely get a couple of sits in together!

Comment

At least you didnt blow $60 worth of arrows and broadheads on a porcupine your first trip...��

Comment

This is why I seldom use a blind for morning hunts. I love to still hunt so I do that in the morning and save the sits for evenings.

Comment

Working...
                              X