Public land ettiquete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public land ettiquete

So since I will be new to hunting and public land hunting. I plan on finding some public land and start learning how to track deer and figure out where they are and why. But I don't want to be that guy that might go out there and mess up somebody else spot they been working on.. I am a fisherman so I know ettiquete is a big thing. Can yall help me with some dos and donts. My concern would be to accidently walk through somebody shooting lanes they been setting up and leaving scents to where the deer wouldn't come back around the person's shooting lanes. Help a newb out so I'm not that guy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

I wouldnt worry about that too much. Use your gps and get away fro the roads. walk stream drainages and look for horn rubs and trails. Go during the week if possible..

Comment

I hunt Sam Houston National Forest pm me and I'll get wit ya

Comment

Do it in the middle of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
          Thanks for the advice

Comment

I think you should be pretty well off by getting back a ways. Most people don't go in very far.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
              I think you should be pretty well off by getting back a ways. Most people don't go in very far.
              Ok thank you sir

Comment

I just started at Sam Houston for squirrels, rabbits, etc...middle of the day was my tactic. I have yet to run into anyone. In general, most folks on public land understand someone walking through can happen.

However, read the TPWD Rules! I have met more people than I care to count that don't realize there is a hunting permit, then a public land permit. The SHNF thread has a bunch of links, I think it's post #270 on that thread. Also, TPWD has a permit book that has maps of everything public and private. It's also extremely helpful.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                  This for sure don't scout during prime time early morning, or evening. Check out the public hunting forum there is a ton of great info to be found and the threads are pretty well location specific so you can find info on the area you plan to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
                    This for sure don't scout during prime time early morning, or evening. Check out the public hunting forum there is a ton of great info to be found and the threads are pretty well location specific so you can find info on the area you plan to hunt.
                    Ok thanks.

Comment

It is public land so expect people to mess up your set up. It's your responsibility to get to an area where no one else is going

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                        It is public land so expect people to mess up your set up. It's your responsibility to get to an area where no one else is going
                        Understood.

Comment

Working...
                        X