Salt Water Fishing Reels??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    You sho right. No since in buying new when these antiques work like a champ. I'll keep replacing drag washers and bearings now and then.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You're right. I might take hoythitman's advice and try to revive a couple I've got sitting in a shoebox.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBarn View Post
      You're right. I might take hoythitman's advice and try to revive a couple I've got sitting in a shoebox.
      The chronarch was bought off eBay for 30 bucks. I've been offered 150 for it. I have 4 old curado 200s all from pawnshops from 60 and below. When the guy you buy parts from says don't replace them.....you listen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out the new Concept 13 Z model being introduced right now - utube

Game changer for salt water fishing

Delivery next spring on pre orders

Comment

Curados for me.

Comment

I fish a lot. All saltwater. I've used Shimano for years but I bought a Lews a few years back a I've bought several since. I think the Lews LFS series is the best buy on the market right now. For $99 it's hard to beat. I know a lot of guys that have sent their Concept reels in for repairs more than once. I've got a Concept Inception and it's done well so far but I always end up with one of my Lews in my hand. Good luck in your search.

Comment

I use Penn 209 level winds, but I don't need to cast for the type of fishing I do.

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
                Check out the new Concept 13 Z model being introduced right now - utube

Game changer for salt water fishing

Delivery next spring on pre orders

I want concept Z some kind of bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So I keep asking myself is the cost of an expensive reel ($200+) worth it now days? What are you guys expectations on life of a reel, assuming its regularly used and maintained (broke down, oiled, etc.)? I would expect 5+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiakk View Post
                    I use Penn 209 level winds, but I don't need to cast for the type of fishing I do.
                    Penn reels used to be the best for any water. A Penn 109 I bought back in the 50's was the only reel I ever had that would hold up to the sand in Red River. Took me a good while to save up the $2.50 that reel cost me in 1956.
                    Back then about the only other choices were Johnson or Ocean City. Neither would last a whole summer fishing the gritty waters of Red River. When those old black body Zebco's became available Dad bought a couple but they were not up to the task fishing the Red although they were better than the Johnson and OC reels. Funny thing is Penn reels were designed and made by a former Ocean City employee Otto Henze.

Comment

Old memories coming back.
                      I bought that Penn 109 and a Calcutta cane surf rod from White's Auto in Bonham, Tx. Paid for it with money I earned hoeing cotton at 40 cents an hour for a 10 hour day. I believe the total cost was just over $5.00.
                      Cost me near 2 days pay for the rod and reel and a spool of 80 lb nylon line.
                      Times have sure changed.

Comment

Ive got a lews BB1 Inshore and a newer lews speed spool inshore lfs. They are specifically designed for saltwater with drain ports and non corrosive parts. I love them both.

Lews quit making the BB1 Inshore last year or two. They are silver and were $199. The newer one is black and blue and priced $70 cheaper at $129. I called lews to inquire about the price difference and why the newer was cheaper. I was really looking to buy the older one. They basically told me while they had lots of guys using the bb1, they just didn't sell well enough to continue producing them at that price. Perhaps because they are more geared to the freshwater market and saltwater guys haven't made the switch to lews yet. So they made the new reel, dropped the centrifugal breaking system and used a magnetic breaking, with a few changed parts, and dropped the price point to $130.

After fishing both of them, they are both well made and have held up great, but the older BB1 inshore will outcast the newer one having more break settings, but it is slightly bigger and heavier than the lfs. Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                          Matts reel repair in San Antonio. That man works magic, a rebuild with Boca ceramic bearings and it will be better than a new curado. I have 2 of the old late 1990's green color changing bantam curados that he redid for me. They are amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          So I sent Matt's Reel Repair three Curado CU200s that I bought nearly 15 years ago, and they were able to repair/upgrade two. I will say they work better than day I bought them. I recommend these guys to anyone.

I also had them upgrade a Chronarch that I thought was toast, works flawlessly now.

For what a premium reel costs these days, I had all three fixed for about the same cost.

Comment

Ordered a Lews BB1-Inshore and a Diawa TWS Inshore at the same time... took 'em both out on identical 7 1/2' medium light rods... After the first trip, I bought another one of the Diawa's and tried to send the Lew's back, but it was beyond the return date so I kept it... I have 4 of the Curado 200SF's that I've used no telling how many hours in salt water, mostly wading... Wanted something new and after the bad reviews I read on here and elsewhere of the new Curado's, this is the way I went...

My summary of the Lew's vs. Diawa Inshore models...
                            I very much prefer the Diawa over the Lew's ( and even the old curado's). The Diawa has the inshore bearings, and the Diawa cast control is WAY ahead of any of the others, even the old Curados...

I later took both to the Chandeleur's last year, and those Diawa's held up really well. I fished with the Lew's one afternoon, and after tinkering with the spool tension and cast control, finally got it to cast OK, but on the identical rods and with the same lure (1/8 oz. or 1/4 oz jig head and SDL plastic, that Diawa was easier to cast in the wind, with the wind or in any direction over the Lews.

The trouble I really have always had with the Curados and Lew's is when changing lure weights or even profiles (spoon to plastic or hard baits), you always have to tinker with the spool tension and cast control to compensate for the difference in lure weights... With the Diawa, you don't have to do that. Once you get the spool tension adjusted to your liking, you don't have to mess with it again... Total cast control is done with the cast control on the side plate of the reel with the Diawas... Many years ago, I used the Diawa PT series reels and that's how they worked back then, but I got away from Diawa as others came along (such as Curado's, etc.) and I began to use them... Diawa to my liking and opinion has far and away the best cast control system of all the bait casters, and this inshore reel they have appears to be a real winner. Will pick up 2 more of them at least before my Chandeleur trips this year...

As a matter of interest, I have those 4 Curado 200SF's and about $120 worth of spare parts that I'll take $450 for if anyone is interested, you can PM me...
                            Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 01-08-2018, 01:25 PM. Reason: Tnik fingerz

Comment

Only saltwater fish have used shimanos for years with no issues. Bought 3 Lews last year had to replace two of them within a few months. They were cleaned after every trip out not really sure why we were having issues. For now I'll stick with shimano

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X