No announcement yet.

Cajun secret pirogue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice!!! I built one from their kit years ago and still have it!

Comment

A view of the finished bow sterns looking down to see the angles that had to be cut

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you going to make a patten of the boat your are building ? Or just making the one ?

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          Are you going to make a patten of the boat your are building ? Or just making the one ?
          Not sure i understand. I have plans I'm following if that's what you mean

After rereading, did you mean patent?

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
            Not sure i understand. I have plans I'm following if that's what you mean

After rereading, did you mean patent?

I assume he means tracing the finished panels onto some cheap Luann or paper, so the next one you build goes much faster than all the measuring and layout work.

Looks nice so far, I've built a couple pirogues myself, but I deviated from the plans slightly to get what I wanted. Mine is 14' long, 25" wide on the bottom and 35" on the top, it weighs 45 lbs and absolutely flies. It is almost as fast as a sea kayak. The other one is 16' long with a 27" bottom, and front and rear enclosed floatations compartments for my FIL to use out on the salt flats.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
              I assume he means tracing the finished panels onto some cheap Luann or paper, so the next one you build goes much faster than all the measuring and layout work.

Looks nice so far, I've built a couple pirogues myself, but I deviated from the plans slightly to get what I wanted. Mine is 14' long, 25" wide on the bottom and 35" on the top, it weighs 45 lbs and absolutely flies. It is almost as fast as a sea kayak. The other one is 16' long with a 27" bottom, and front and rear enclosed floatations compartments for my FIL to use out on the salt flats.
              Unless I screw up on this one, i don't see doing another anytime soon. The plans are pretty simple so wouldn't ser the need to trace a pattern. Next i want to do a 17 ft freighter canoe called lutra laker designed by a guy in texas. Also have plans for the point comfort skiff from doug hylan which is a pretty cool boat

Comment

Sides cut out, lined them up back to back amd hit all the edges with the belt sander to true them up and make them identical. Next weekend I'll be ready to start attaching the sides to the bow stems.

Comment

No I mean in case you plan to make more then one . That way you have a full size template to work from instead of having to redraw everything.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post

That exactly what I was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                      Unless I screw up on this one, i don't see doing another anytime soon. The plans are pretty simple so wouldn't ser the need to trace a pattern. Next i want to do a 17 ft freighter canoe called lutra laker designed by a guy in texas. Also have plans for the point comfort skiff from doug hylan which is a pretty cool boat

I have always want to build a boat . What is the point contort skiff about ? I looked a jem plans before just never got to the point of making one .

Comment

I have always want to build a boat . What is the point contort skiff about ? I looked a jem plans before just never got to the point of making one .

This is the skiff i have plans for already.

duckworksbbs.com/plans/nichols/laker/index.htm

This is the freighter canoe, lutra laker.

Comment

This thread is giving me ideas for late August when my kid leaves for college and I get my garage back.

Was in the attic today and found about 5 years worth of Wooden Boat magazine from the somewhat pre-internet days. Much easier to get plans now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You're making good progress. Looking good too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
                              You're making good progress. Looking good too.

Thanks. Guess now the hard part will be making sure the sides match up perfectly on the stems, then it looks like it should all be downhill from there.

Comment

Are you using wire or zips ties to stitch with? Don't tighten anything until you have the entire hull loosely stitched together.

Comment

Working...
                                X