Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting Public Land Hunting Rights in Texas - a Corp of Engineer land discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
    Bringing up neighborhoods reminds me. It might help if some of these properties that are slow to allow access required IBEP certification. That may help smooth the decision with managers and adjoining landowners.

I know that’s another step, but if one is serious about hunting and wants opportunity in a major metro area they are probably going to need to do some “extra” work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great idea, definitely might ease some concern

Comment

I would be careful complaining about having to pick up permits in person or draw processes. The people willing to put in the effort are the ones that get the permits. They could go to an online draw system that any smo with 3 dollars can put in and have a less than 1% chance of drawing like other hunts have...

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
        I would be careful complaining about having to pick up permits in person or draw processes. The people willing to put in the effort are the ones that get the permits. They could go to an online draw system that any smo with 3 dollars can put in and have a less than 1% chance of drawing like other hunts have...

The major focus is to increase access and you can’t honestly say that the hours that the Corp of Engineers operates on is convenient for the average working man. Especially when you consider how far some of these areas are from major metropolitan areas.

I’m well aware that the “average shmo” could be drawing permits because I saw the exact thing happen last year with a draw hunt area I frequent. I ran into the guy at a work event and he informed me he had gotten drawn and didn’t even own a bow 🤦*♂️.

You can eliminate a lot of that via requiring Bowhunter’s Education.

And if you saw draw hunts go electronic in that manner it would require a lot more coordination between the Corp of Engineers and TPWD on a large scale. I know Hagerman is a big example of this and a lot of folks don’t like it.

But at some point you have to pick your poison and realize that if we don’t have new hunters coming along. We’re a minority as it is. Petersen’s Bowhunting quoted U.S. Fish and Wildlife a few months back showing that over 2 million hunters quit hunting. Bowhunting went from 4.47 million to 3.63 million.

Just because I’m more dedicated and willing to take off work to go by the office doesn’t mean I’m any more deserving of getting the opportunity to hunt than some other guy starting out for the first time who works an 8-5 and can’t afford to take off work or afford a lease.

Comment

What about Canyon Lake? I called the office there and they said they don't allow hunting.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
            The major focus is to increase access and you can’t honestly say that the hours that the Corp of Engineers operates on is convenient for the average working man. Especially when you consider how far some of these areas are from major metropolitan areas.

I’m well aware that the “average shmo” could be drawing permits because I saw the exact thing happen last year with a draw hunt area I frequent. I ran into the guy at a work event and he informed me he had gotten drawn and didn’t even own a bow 🤦*♂️.

You can eliminate a lot of that via requiring Bowhunter’s Education.

And if you saw draw hunts go electronic in that manner it would require a lot more coordination between the Corp of Engineers and TPWD on a large scale. I know Hagerman is a big example of this and a lot of folks don’t like it.

But at some point you have to pick your poison and realize that if we don’t have new hunters coming along. We’re a minority as it is. Petersen’s Bowhunting quoted U.S. Fish and Wildlife a few months back showing that over 2 million hunters quit hunting. Bowhunting went from 4.47 million to 3.63 million.

Just because I’m more dedicated and willing to take off work to go by the office doesn’t mean I’m any more deserving of getting the opportunity to hunt than some other guy starting out for the first time who works an 8-5 and can’t afford to take off work or afford a lease.

I see what you’re saying but, I’d rather have some barriers to entry. The big thing is having access at all. If there’s no access/opportunity then there’s no way anyone gets in.

While I’m obviously in the more dedicated/willing to make it work once or twice a year to get permits camp I think there are some real benefits to having some hurdles.

First and foremost the more dedicated a hunter has to be to get the access the greater the likelihood they will be good representatives of our community while using that permit. Of course that’s not an absolute. Even with good intentions and careful observation of the rules and best practices something like a wounded animal dying on a PETA lover’s lawn is still possible.

Comment

I see what you’re saying but, I’d rather have some barriers to entry. The big thing is having access at all. If there’s no access/opportunity then there’s no way anyone gets in.

While I’m obviously in the more dedicated/willing to make it work once or twice a year to get permits camp I think there are some real benefits to having some hurdles.

First and foremost the more dedicated a hunter has to be to get the access the greater the likelihood they will be good representatives of our community while using that permit. Of course that’s not an absolute. Even with good intentions and careful observation of the rules and best practices something like a wounded animal dying on a PETA lover’s lawn is still possible.

Exactly. Making it easier isn’t increasing access. Many people will apply because it’s easy then complain or not go because they figure out the actual hunt isn’t easy.
              But, besides for the permit issue I agree with backcountry hunters and anglers increasing access where there currently is none. Seems like a great organization!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                Exactly. Making it easier isn’t increasing access. Many people will apply because it’s easy then complain or not go because they figure out the actual hunt isn’t easy.

But, besides for the permit issue I agree with backcountry hunters and anglers increasing access where there currently is none. Seems like a great organization!

Oh I agree. Yet I guess my biggest issue is more with places that expect surveys to be mailed via snail mail, or in person post season. Of the lakes I hunt, I think (and I recommended it) Lake Whitney has the best permit system in place.

You have to pick up your permit in person the very first time, and after that as long as you submit your hunter’s survey on time you can get a new permit online the following year.

I know it hasn’t been mentioned much, but be sure to mention if your local area lake has seen a reduction in the size of duck hunting areas. I know Lavon has some areas that are restricted now, and Benbrook has closed some of its areas, like Rocky Creek for example. I understand some it is due to concern over housing additions and firearms, but Grapevine in the past few years went to a hunting til 12pm policy. Not exactly sure why on that one!

I know there a lot of lakes with odd hunting restrictions, but if you can think of specifics that curtail hunting areas, please post em up.

Comment

Very important and interesting thread, thank you for posting... Where can a list of Corp of engineer land for Texas be found?? I tried Google and get a list of about 6 places. All of them are quite far from me but regardless of that, I am interested in assisting in increasing access for hunters/anglers. I plan on joining BHA ASAP.

I realize you said keep it to CoE lands but I have a question as to the BHA and National Park Service land. are they actively seeking to open or enlarge access to NPS lands here in Texas??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                    Very important and interesting thread, thank you for posting... Where can a list of Corp of engineer land for Texas be found?? I tried Google and get a list of about 6 places. All of them are quite far from me but regardless of that, I am interested in assisting in increasing access for hunters/anglers. I plan on joining BHA ASAP.

I realize you said keep it to CoE lands but I have a question as to the BHA and National Park Service land. are they actively seeking to open or enlarge access to NPS lands here in Texas??

Hmm, you’re pretty far south, I’ve never looked up any lakes outside of the Fort Worth district.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post

here are fort worth district lakes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

TTT for the weekend crew

Comment

I totally agree, I'm all about having hoops to jump through, been doing that for years at Hagerman, just give me the opportunity, but some of these corp projects won't.

Comment

CORPS LAKES

Comment

BHA would be more effective if they did a better job at having participation from people in Texas. The Texas Chapter doesn't do much compared with most of the other states. If they got more active members it would help drive membership numbers up and would increase the amount of voices we have in a state that is less than 2% public land and if Ted Cruz has his way it will be shrinking even more.

Working with COE is great but it isn't worth the headache to me to squabble with them about having to go in person to do applications like Grapevine where we already have access when the time can be used to address other areas we there is no hunting access at all.

And yes I'm an active member of BHA and just renewed for another 3 years

Comment

New BHA member here. The poster above me isn't wrong but at the same time, the Texas BHA is still pretty wet behind the years. What's more, is that most of it's members are wet behind the ears when it comes to some of these issues, myself included.

If either one truly cares about Texas Public Lands and Hunting, both TBH and BHA need to find a way to collaborate. At the end of the day, it takes people, not organizations, to make the difference in success or failure. Organizations are tools. They work better when you have more than one. I commend Kirby for his efforts. This is how it starts.

Comment

Working...
                                X