No announcement yet.

Optics question (ffp or sfp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Op, 650.00 for a long range scope is wishful thinking. Your gonna have to lay some coin out for a repeatable turret system.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      Op, 650.00 for a long range scope is wishful thinking. Your gonna have to lay some coin out for a repeatable turret system.

Is there a good repeatable SFP on the market or are they all FFP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
        You don't think there's an SFP that will adjust well and return to zero?

There are, just not at that price point... Nightforce comes to mind. Many scopes in your price range use leaf springs to make adjustments, which are fine if you find zero and never touch the knobs, but they don’t track smoothly....they may stick then over correct on the next click. Tactical scopes use more intricate tentioners like a 4 point coiled spring or some other like system. If Blake tells you anything I’m sqying is BS, I freely submit to his expertise on the subject. This is my experience. Link below will give you an idea of the tracking issue I’m talking about. Photos are with scopes far exceeding your budget, so magnify the results as you go downward in price and quality.

Comment

i like sfp for hunting because i can zoom all the way out and still have a easily visible reticle. and, if you get a flat shooting cartridge, a sfp reticle with subtensions will get you out quite a ways with holdovers. and, if shooting at holdover ranges you'll probably be at max magnification anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
            Is there a good repeatable SFP on the market or are they all FFP?

Closest to your price range. They aint got the clearest optics but they are tough and repeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              some people have had good luck with the bushnell engage, athlon midas btr and vortex diamondback tactical as far as repeatability. i dont own either but ive been reading a lot about them for an optic for a "truck gun"

Comment

Any opinions on sightron??

Comment

With a good range finder I see only disadvantages to FFP

Comment

Some may not agree, but for a hunting scope I am digging the new Sig line.

If you are a keen Amazon user you can have a 1200 dollar scope for about 700. I believe it is the Tango 5 that is mispriced from some sellers right now. The part number is very close to a lower priced scope.

If you can't find that deal on Amazon, I am aware of someone that bought a few. I will see if he is willing to part with one if you have no luck.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                      Some may not agree, but for a hunting scope I am digging the new Sig line.

If you are a keen Amazon user you can have a 1200 dollar scope for about 700. I believe it is the Tango 5 that is mispriced from some sellers right now. The part number is very close to a lower priced scope.

If you can't find that deal on Amazon, I am aware of someone that bought a few. I will see if he is willing to part with one if you have no luck.

any more info on this Amazon deal? ive been eyeballing the new sig optics

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        With a good range finder I see only disadvantages to FFP
                        I’m not calling you out on this, but I’d like to know why you feel this way. From my perspective the only disadvantage to ffp is the thickness of the reticle at higher powers, but the advantage is the consistency of throughout the magnification ranges. You’re correct on the range, but on hot summer days when the mirage is to strong at higher power, I can back it down and still use the mil dots for windage without breaking out a calculator. I will say that the reticle is everything in a ffp scope. I’ve looked through some and wondered how anyone would want one. I’ve settled on a Hendsholdt scope because at high mag it’s not too thick, and at the lowest mag the mill dots come together forming a solid, easily seen, thick line themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by texasnavy05 View Post
                          any more info on this Amazon deal? ive been eyeballing the new sig optics

I'll check in with my cousin tomorrow. He has bought two at half price. I'll pm u.

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
                            I’m not calling you out on this, but I’d like to know why you feel this way. From my perspective the only disadvantage to ffp is the thickness of the reticle at higher powers, but the advantage is the consistency of throughout the magnification ranges. You’re correct on the range, but on hot summer days when the mirage is to strong at higher power, I can back it down and still use the mil dots for windage without breaking out a calculator. I will say that the reticle is everything in a ffp scope. I’ve looked through some and wondered how anyone would want one. I’ve settled on a Hendsholdt scope because at high mag it’s not too thick, and at the lowest mag the mill dots come together forming a solid, easily seen, thick line themselves.

Thickness of reticle at max magnification is a big deal to me as is the business of the available reticles.

If I were a military sniper that had to be able to range if my laser went down I would want FFP. As a hunter / target shooter who has time to range and dial elevation and wind FFP has no advantage IMO

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              Thickness of reticle at max magnification is a big deal to me as is the business of the available reticles.

If I were a military sniper that had to be able to range if my laser went down I would want FFP. As a hunter / target shooter who has time to range and dial elevation and wind FFP has no advantage IMO
                              I’ve actually learned at max magnification to click one over and one down to shoot the corner of the reticle, works like a charm. It’s like everything else in life, you learn to adapt to what you have, but I see your point. As for hinting, I rarely set my scope much over or under 10X which puts the reticle thickness almost identical to a SFP anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
                                I’ve actually learned at max magnification to click one over and one down to shoot the corner of the reticle, works like a charm. It’s like everything else in life, you learn to adapt to what you have, but I see your point. As for hinting, I rarely set my scope much over or under 10X which puts the reticle thickness almost identical to a SFP anyway.
                                I am not following you. Explain?

One down and one over could be over 8 inches at 400 yards.

Are you suggesting this as a rule to deal with mirage?
                                Last edited by -HIC-; 12-14-2017, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X