Open-water duck hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open-water duck hunting

I recently went sea duck hunting in the Chesapeake Bay, and it got me wondering how many guys use a similar hunting approach in Texas lakes and larger rivers. Rather than setting up along a shoreline, you're right out there in the middle of the water targeting divers.

Curious, do you need a layout boat in order to have enough concealment, or can you get away with hunting right out of your v-hull high wall? Sea ducks didn't seem to care too much either way, though notably they fly very low to the water and I could see the waves breaking up your outline pretty effectively from that perspective.

Seems like this style of hunting would be a great way to get away from the crowds here in Texas.

I don’t nor would I use this approach bc I am not a fan of divers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Concealment is going to be key. If it's a huge boat, cover may be an issue. In some of the bays I've hunted the guides have big taco stand looking blinds everywhere out in the open. They seem to work well in the early season but after that it can be tough. Especially late season you'll see the divers raft up in the wide open away from all the blinds and shorelines.

Comment

works on some days.. not others. Used that approach on lake season ducks and you will get action throughout the day.. just have to have patience.

Comment

Sea ducks are stupid. You will not get away with just going out and sitting in a boat for divers the same way. We have a MLB layout boat we use on Toledo Bend and some birds will still shy off of it.

Comment

Working...
          X