Safety or no safety on a carry pistol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
    I think it was just his speculation that was why the guy turned around. Like I said I don't think it is actually a thing or should way into anyone's decision. Was just a crazy story.
    Gotcha

Comment

In my opinion I do not think it is needed. It is an extra process or step you may forget in a high stress situation may the need arise for you to draw your gun. If you plan to train and get proficient with drawing and clicking off the safety in one motion then it's acceptable but for me that just ads another step to a possible high stress situation. That said, also don't carry a gun with a 2lb trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

XDS for us

No thumb safety, but has grip and trigger safety. It is the best option I have found to minimize accidental discharge, but yet still be a "pull and shoot".

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
          I considered leaving the safety off while holstered, but was concerned that it would get kicked on, and I would expect it off when I needed it.

Personally, I don’t think there’s enough to get ahold of on the shield safety.
          This is what I do, then put it back on when not on my hip.

Comment

IMO a safety on a carry firearm is just as dangerous as an empty chamber.

Comment

I have same gun in performance center. I leave the safety off. With long trigger pull I dont think you need the safety for normal carry.

Comment

Both of my carry guns have a hammer and a safety. I don't shoot striker guns well, mainly due to being used to a better trigger. If the difference in me getting shot is the millisecond it takes to click the button, I've already lost. That said, I've found a lot of the "modern" guns to have tiny, hard to manipulate safeties, which I'll agree are dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                  I was thinking about buying one of those car magnets that you mount on the lower dash. I don’t like the thought of it sitting out in the open next my leg with nothing but the trigger as the safety.

Thoughts or opinions?
                  I though even with an LTC unless your firearm is in a belt or shoulder holster it had to be concealed in a vehicle? Or do I misunderstand what you mean by "out in the open"?

I have one handgun with a safety (original Taurus PT111 M Pro) and one really without (Polymer 80 Glock type trigger safety but I don't really consider that really a safety lol).

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                    I just ordered a Smith and Wesson Shield 2.0. I had the option for a thumb safety, or no safety.
                    Normally on a striker fire that you carry, I would say no safety. But I ordered this one with a safety because I’m assuming that I will be taking it off every time I get into the car to drive.
                    I was thinking about buying one of those car magnets that you mount on the lower dash. I don’t like the thought of it sitting out in the open next my leg with nothing but the trigger as the safety.

Thoughts or opinions?
                    Safety or not is your preference, but how is "sitting out in the open next to my leg" any different than inside your waistband or out.......pointing straight down your leg.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                      XDS for us

No thumb safety, but has grip and trigger safety. It is the best option I have found to minimize accidental discharge, but yet still be a "pull and shoot".
                      THis^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

My LC9S has a safety. I carry with it off. When I get home and take off the IWB holster to put the rig away, I flip it back on. Next morning, flip it back off and reholster.

Has worked for me so far. Haven't really had to use it though, but I'm kinda hoping to maintain that streak.

Comment

Safety or no safety on a carry pistol?

No thumb safety for me on any of my carry guns and I pocket carry a lot.

Guess I should have been shot multiple times now since they go off by themselves so easily. [emoji51]

And some of them are even those really scary Glocks that have no safeties! [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            Safety or not is your preference, but how is "sitting out in the open next to my leg" any different than inside your waistband or out.......pointing straight down your leg.
                            It will be out of a holster.

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
                              I have same gun in performance center. I leave the safety off. With long trigger pull I dont think you need the safety for normal carry.
                              You need to try the new 2.0 model that came out.
                              It had the shortest and smoothest trigger pull, compared to standard Shield, Glock 26, Glock 43, and Springfield XDS.
                              Much improved over the standard Shield.

Comment

I've pulled my shotgun up on ducks a few times and forgot to hit the safety, there is no way I want to risk that on a self defense gun. I don't carry guns with a manual thumb safety.

Comment

Working...
                                X