Where to go in New Mexico???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to go in New Mexico???

Here's the deal...The wife is wanting to take the kids (6 and 2) to New Mexico for Spring Break. She has grand ideas of mountains, fishing, hiking, and riding around in the Ranger. And maybe going to visit where Billy the Kid was supposedly shot. Heck, maybe even somewhere in west Texas? All help is appreciated. What can y'all recommend? Thanks!

Can't go wrong with Red River! Plenty of family fun with hiking,fishing,sightseeing,lotsa places to ride 4whlrs and such.If you like it also,just a short drive down the road to go whitewater rafting too! Enjoy the time with family bud!

Comment

Check out Cloudcroft. I was there years ago and the place was awesome.Beautiful country

Comment

She's going to be underwhelmed with the Billy The Kid museum in Fort Sumner, besides....Billy The Kid is buried in Hico!

Red River is hard to beat.

Comment

Like Dale said, not much to Billy the Kid museum or Fort Sumner in general. You probably wont need alot of time for it. If she is wanting to see it go on out there.

Comment

We had a family reunion in Cloudcroft back in the day.

I'll second that one.

It's been a while but I have also been to Red River in the off season and it's pretty cool even though it's best to go when you can play in the snow. In spring it's fun to go to Ruidoso if you like to watch ponies run.

Comment

Everyone always talks about Red River.

Comment

Thanks people. We will check these out.

We can do all the things she is wanting to do, at the deer lease...but I guess that is not "getting away" enough? Just want to keep the little lady happy.

Comment

I would head further north to Santa Fe, Pecos, Las Vegas. lots of fishing, camping, sight seeing, etc. etc.

Comment

Ruidoso is good too. should be plenty of snow, take some sleds or better yet go skiing! Angel fire and Taos has the best skiing. Angle fire is the prettiest place in NM IMO, and it's close to Red River. There is a pretty cool train ride in Chama.
                    Last edited by ELKAHOLIC; 02-19-2014, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Red River would be great but not for what yall want to do this time of year. Skiing is still going on.

Comment

I would have to say either Cloudcroft or Santa Fe/Taos area. I live in Clovis and the eastern part of the state and there is nothing to do here. As stated before, The Billy the Kid Museum in Ft Sumner isn't all that great or grand and the rest of the town has zilch to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Widowmaker View Post
                          Can't go wrong with Red River! Plenty of family fun with hiking,fishing,sightseeing,lotsa places to ride 4whlrs and such.If you like it also,just a short drive down the road to go whitewater rafting too! Enjoy the time with family bud!

This^^^^!!! The eat vacation I ever took was here. Spent a week in the mountains two years in a row. Fished on gold mountain in goose lake. Good trout fishin. Plus just a flat out beautiful town. With shops and good places to eat.

Comment

Go where the black panther go!

Comment

Red river is nice, but like the above poster said the ski crowd is still there. Maybe stay further south around cloudcroft or ruidoso.

Comment

Working...
                              X