Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are custom rifles going to be a thing of the past?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious question. I love accurate rifles and I have spent my fair share of dinero on customs. I bought my son a Ruger American Predator in 243 this year and it’s stupid accurate. With factory ammo it’s shooting consistently in the .7’s with factory ammo and in the high .4’s with handloads.

Spent all day at the range today with friends that got Ruger Americans and TC Compass rifles for Christmas. Not a single one of 5 rifles failed to shoot 5 shot sub MOA (by a big margin) groups. This is with factory ammunition.

So my question, what is the extra $1000-$2000 dollars getting us?....assuming you aren’t wildcatting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on what you mean by custom. Factory rifles are definitely improving in terms of accuracy, but they'll never compete with bespoke guns made out to of blued steel and walnut.

Comment

I have been impressed with the RAR for a cheaper factory gun.

Comment

IMO nowadays its not really about the accuracy. Factory guns most will shoot MOA.

The thing about custom is you get EXACTLY what you want. and a little bit better accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
          Serious question. I love accurate rifles and I have spent my fair share of dinero on customs. I bought my son a Ruger American Predator in 243 this year and it’s stupid accurate. With factory ammo it’s shooting consistently in the .7’s with factory ammo and in the high .4’s with handloads.

Spent all day at the range today with friends that got Ruger Americans and TC Compass rifles for Christmas. Not a single one of 5 rifles failed to shoot 5 shot sub MOA (by a big margin) groups. This is with factory ammunition.

So my question, what is the extra $1000-$2000 dollars getting us?....assuming you aren’t wildcatting.

I guess the same could be said about custom traditional bows, but bowyers are more plentiful now than ever before. There ain't nothing like a custom bow/rifle. It's personal, not Academy.

Comment

Personal choice of trigger, stock, caliber, barrel length/ contour etc etc. it like ordering a burger just the way you want it. It’s important to some but not other, there will always be a niche for customs..... it’s not always about accuracy alone.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
              Personal choice of trigger, stock, caliber, barrel length/ contour etc etc. it like ordering a burger just the way you want it. It’s important to some but not other, there will always be a niche for customs..... it’s not always about accuracy alone.

Isn’t accuracy the only thing that really matters ? Just like taste is the only thing that matters on the burger?

Comment

Isn’t accuracy the only thing that really matters ? Just like taste is the only thing that matters on the burger?

I'm thinking accuracy is 90% of it.

Comment

What kind of truck do you drive? Isn't getting from point A to point B all that matters?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                    What kind of truck do you drive? Isn't getting from point A to point B all that matters?

I see your point but in my mind a rifle has a more specialized purpose , to deliver projectiles to a precise location. I’m just scratching my head wondering what a Surgeon action, Bartlein barrel, and Manners stock is REALLY getting us when it come to putting rounds on target.

Comment

I see your point but in my mind a rifle has a more specialized purpose , to deliver projectiles to a precise location. I’m just scratching my head wondering what a Surgeon action, Bartlein barrel, and Manners stock is REALLY getting us when it come to putting rounds on target.

Because custom rifles tickle my pickle and economy rifles that are accurate don’t give me wowzers in my trousers near as much

Comment

Again, replace "rifle" with "truck".

Comment

I’ve had the same thoughts as well. I fixed up a Tikka in .243 and my hand loads are shooting .3’s and I’m probably not even a good hand loader nor using high grade components. It would shoot .6-.7 with factory loads. How much better will a custom really get me in terms of accuracy? Probably not a lot.

With that being said, I’ve kind of had the itch for a custom rifle. Really just one, just to have that one rifle that’s exactly what I want. My decision is still to be determined, but I’ve pondered on it pretty hard.

Comment

To me and obviously many others, there’s quite a lot more to it than just the accuracy factor.

Accuracy is certainly paramount, but many other things matter as well, and it can be a long list.

Comment

There is a cool factor about a custom gun that will keep peoples interest. At least it does mine.

Being able to make something exactly the way you like it goes a long way.

Comment

Working...
                              X