• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scotty View Post
    Canon, Bill??? Really???

Yea, really?!?!?

Comment

Bill,
      They're both great lenses. I've shot both as I have the 300 and Les has the 100-400. I can bring it to Bownanza if you want to handle it. I would bet Les could do the same.

Comment

Congrats on the new pitcher taker thingy!

300 vs 100-400?

That is a tough one. Good news is I don't think you will have any regrets either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
          Bill,
          They're both great lenses. I've shot both as I have the 300 and Les has the 100-400. I can bring it to Bownanza if you want to handle it. I would bet Les could do the same.
          Casey I certainly appreciate the offer bring but it's not necessary. Big either way and will used on monopod or tripod. B&H actually has both reduced right now and both have rebates, $100 on the 300 and $200 on the 100-400. I will probably pull the trigger before Bownanza anyway.

I'm hoping Les brings his new toy to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
            Yea, really?!?!?
            Sorry fellas, C comes before N in the alphabet. I chose a simpler method to make my choice.

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
            Congrats on the new pitcher taker thingy!

300 vs 100-400?

That is a tough one. Good news is I don't think you will have any regrets either way.
            I think you're right Steven and thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
              Sorry fellas, C comes before N in the alphabet. I chose a simpler method to make my choice.

I think you're right Steven and thanks.

That's funny! I used to shoot Canon years ago and when it was time to upgrade the camera body I was using the, the Nikon just felt better in my hands. That is the only reason I changed.
              Now, I have too much invested in glass to even think about changing.
              I am sure you will love your new setup Bill!

Comment

300mm f/4 or 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6. Tough one. f/4 to f/5.6 (on the long end) is a whole stop, so your cutting your light in half, doubling ISO or cutting your shutter speed in half. Do you need faster shutter speeds for what you'll use the lens for? I think for me, that would be the biggest factor. Variable zoom is nice too, but if you need speed you need speed.

The only sensible answer is to buy 3 camera bodies, a 70-200mm f/2.8L, a 300mm f/2.8L, and a 400mm f/2.8L. Problem solved.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                    That's funny! I used to shoot Canon years ago and when it was time to upgrade the camera body I was using the, the Nikon just felt better in my hands. That is the only reason I changed.
                    Now, I have too much invested in glass to even think about changing.
                    I am sure you will love your new setup Bill!
                    I use a grip with short lenses so I'm good with the current configurations.

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    300mm f/4 or 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6. Tough one. f/4 to f/5.6 (on the long end) is a whole stop, so your cutting your light in half, doubling ISO or cutting your shutter speed in half. Do you need faster shutter speeds for what you'll use the lens for? I think for me, that would be the biggest factor. Variable zoom is nice too, but if you need speed you need speed.

The only sensible answer is to buy 3 camera bodies, a 70-200mm f/2.8L, a 300mm f/2.8L, and a 400mm f/2.8L. Problem solved.
                    Shane can I get a loan?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post

This!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                        This!!!
                        Not until Shane answers my question.

It's too late anyway. They are now out of the cart and hopefully going to UPS in a little while. I opted for the 100-400 which was my first choice. It makes the most sense for my use.

For the Nikon guys, I left and went and held both. While there wasn't a bunch of difference (to me), I did like the Canon best. I hate to say but I still like the Olympus feel best of all of them but I digress. I had held them before but thought I would again before pulling the trigger.

Comment

Bill, sorry for the slow reply. I think you made the right choice. Ive owned both at the same time and found myself leaving the 300 F4 IS behind most of the time. I refuse to bring more than 2 lenses with me on any trip (even going to Kyrgyzstan or Africa) so i have a 24-105 F4 and a 100-400 F4.5-5.6 It is such a powerful combination. Depending on the trip, I will swap one of them out for a more specialty type lens (think macro or star lens). In the older days where DSLRs had bad ISO performance, the extra stops were very important. With the ISO performance of the latest generation of DSLRs, I would rather have versatility vs an extra stop.

I know there are just as many arguments the other way, but this is from my experience.

If you dont get a sharp one, send that puppy back for another.

Comment

I had a 100-400mm but don't anymore. Nice lens, but seemed a little soft out at 400. JMO.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                              Bill, sorry for the slow reply. I think you made the right choice. Ive owned both at the same time and found myself leaving the 300 F4 IS behind most of the time. I refuse to bring more than 2 lenses with me on any trip (even going to Kyrgyzstan or Africa) so i have a 24-105 F4 and a 100-400 F4.5-5.6 It is such a powerful combination. Depending on the trip, I will swap one of them out for a more specialty type lens (think macro or star lens). In the older days where DSLRs had bad ISO performance, the extra stops were very important. With the ISO performance of the latest generation of DSLRs, I would rather have versatility vs an extra stop.

I know there are just as many arguments the other way, but this is from my experience.

If you dont get a sharp one, send that puppy back for another.
                              Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                              I had a 100-400mm but don't anymore. Nice lens, but seemed a little soft out at 400. JMO.

Dave
                              Thanks for the input Kevin. Appreciated. I have used the worse when it comes to ISO performance so looking forward to the improvement.

I will test the lens from one end to the other when it comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                                Shane can I get a loan?
                                Absolutely! I know Leggy will hook you up.

Comment

Working...
                                X