No announcement yet.

Time To Get Serious About CWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longue Carabine: you have provided some excellent information on this topic, and I'm curious about your background -- seems obvious that you have a science/biology background. If you personally know anyone researching CWD, I would suggest that you encourage them to pursue this: the answer to prions is to figure out a way to encapsulate them -- possibly through nanotechnology. To me, there should be a way to basically coat individual prions in animals as well as encapsulate them with a spray-on product over the environment -- just like encapsulating fiberglass.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
      Longue Carabine: you have provided some excellent information on this topic, and I'm curious about your background -- seems obvious that you have a science/biology background. If you personally know anyone researching CWD, I would suggest that you encourage them to pursue this: the answer to prions is to figure out a way to encapsulate them -- possibly through nanotechnology. To me, there should be a way to basically coat individual prions in animals as well as encapsulate them with a spray-on product over the environment -- just like encapsulating fiberglass.
      We're talking very very small matter here, approximately 10nm, the length of a DNA strand is 2nm. I'm not sure what your considering is even feasible

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie_bowtech View Post
        Is it OK to hunt and eat all my deer from Bandera this year? I've been hunting there 15 years.

Haven't heard any results from this last year but know the one deer we brought in and had checked was A-OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        NO SIR!!!, any deer harvested in Bandera county is to be cleaned, deboned, and ground into hamburger meat, except the back straps and tender loins.
        You are required to put it on ice and bring it to my house, OH, I Mean "THE DROP OFF LOCATION".
        I will pm you the address.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
          I got degrees in biology and then my doctorate in pharmaceutical science. I don't know a lot about nanotechnology, but I imagine that if it worked, it would likely be cost prohibitive and I don't think anyone could get it into all the deer.

At this point in time there seems to be only two ways this could go. Scenario A) Temporary eradication until prions degrade in the environment, then reintroduction. Or, since that likely isn't going to happen, B) Let evolution run its course and hope it never crosses species barriers into livestock and people.

Comment

Don't eat squirrel brains https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...220151245.html

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
              Was not planning on it, but good to know

Comment

They found some more free ranging deer with it https://www.lsonews.com/cwd-confirme...xas-deer-herd/

Comment

I saw that. I skimmed over an article in one of my bowhunting magazines and was perplexed. In some areas it is only found in captive herds. In other areas it is only found in free range.

For some reason this makes me think of Parvo in dogs. Parvo is in the soil and can rest for years in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                    I saw that. I skimmed over an article in one of my bowhunting magazines and was perplexed. In some areas it is only found in captive herds. In other areas it is only found in free range.

For some reason this makes me think of Parvo in dogs. Parvo is in the soil and can rest for years in it.
                    In the Median co. situation almost 100% the deer farmers brought it in, in west texas might have just been there for years.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                      In the Median co. situation almost 100% the deer farmers brought it in, in west texas might have just been there for years.

Brought it in from where?

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                        Brought it in from where?

On the trailer!

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                          wonder if its contagious for humans, when I grill venison i like it rare to med rare.
                          As of now, there are no known examples of CWD crossing over the species barrier to humans.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                            On the trailer!
                            where did the trailer come from?

Comment

Sorry, but I'm eating squirrel brains.

Death before no squirrel brains!

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                                where did the trailer come from?
                                Another breeding facility that was selling infected deer? More than likely under the radar....in the middle of the night. I remember seeing high fence ranches in between Utopia and Bandera in the mid-70's. No telling how long or how many infected deer were moved around our state.

Comment

Working...
                                X