video: Dead or Alive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

video: Dead or Alive?

Well the inevitable happened this weekend… I lost my first deer. She jumped the string and I hit her very high and back. At first I thought I broke her back, and before I could get a follow up shot off she took off and ran out of sight. I heard her crash 5 of 6 times. There was a few specks of blood where she was thrashing around under the feeder but that’s it… Could not find another drop. Searched all weekend for this deer and came up empty handed. Pretty bummed.. Any way that this was not a lethal shot and she is still alive?? I sure hope so… Thanks for the input.

I did that last year but it was a clean pass through. Three days later my buddy saw her feeding at the feeder again. He saw the entrance and exit wound.

Comment

Reposted to make it easier to view.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfPqKYVG-OY&feature=email"]Dead or Alive - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

My opinion and it's JUST an opinion... I think you broke the spinal process. This is the vertical part of the vertebrae that sits between the two backstraps. Apparently, there was a momentary pressure against the spinal cord, making it hard for her to get up. That could be something as simple as the arrow shaft pushing against a spinal disk, which in turn pushed against the spinal cord. Had your broadhead severed the spinal cord, she would have been permanently paralized and wouldn't have gotten up. The fact that she got up and ran would seem to indicate that whatever pressure or minor damage to the spinal cord that initially kept her from getting up was somehow relieved. My guess is she'll make it. She'll probably break the arrow against something and it will come out. Nerves have a way of "healing" themselves of minor injury where they basically "reroute" synapses around the damage.

My vote: ALIVE
        Last edited by Snakelover; 11-28-2011, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
          My opinion and it's JUST an opinion... I think you broke the spinal process. This is the vertical part of the vertebrae that sits between the two backstraps. Apparently, there was a momentary pressure against the spinal cord, making it hard for her to get up. That could be something as simple as the arrow shaft pushing against a spinal disk, which in turn pushed against the spinal cord. Had your broadhead severed the spinal cord, she would have been permanently paralized and wouldn't have gotten up. The fact that she got up and ran would seem to indicate that whatever pressure or minor damage to the spinal cord that initially kept her from getting up was somehow relieved. My guess is she'll make it. She'll probably break the arrow against something and it will come out. Nerves have a way of "healing" themselves of minor injury where they basically "reroute" synapses around the damage.

My vote: ALIVE
          Thanks for your input snakelover. I hope she makes it.

Comment

This is actually pretty common and contributes to the myth that there is a "void" between the spine and the vitals. The only so-called "void" is above the spine. Here are some pictures I made from a previous discussion of this topic. The first three pictures are cross sections of deer. The other pictures are from other animals, but the concept is the same. Hope this helps.

[ATTACH]288258[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]288259[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]288260[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]288262[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]288263[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]288261[/ATTACH]

Scratch what I said about the disk. I forgot that the disk is actually below the spinal cord, not above it. No matter, though. A part of the arrow could have been temporarily pressing directly on the spinal cord.
            Last edited by Snakelover; 11-28-2011, 08:42 AM.

Comment

I am with Snakelover on this one.

Comment

That is the same thing that happened in my spearing video. I hit her high but while the hog was on the ground thrashing I ran out and grabbed it and after looking at the original hole it was not a kill shot at all. I hit it in on top of the vertebrae that dorsal fin looking part. I look at it as kind of a stinger I have done it to hogs before but never a deer but it looks like the same thing.

My vote- alive
                Last edited by hog smacker; 11-28-2011, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Alive

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                    This is actually pretty common and contributes to the myth that there is a "void" between the spine and the vitals. The only so-called "void" is above the spine. Here are some pictures I made from a previous discussion of this topic. The first three pictures are cross sections of deer. The other pictures are from other animals, but the concept is the same. Hope this helps.
                    Wow, the spinal chord is much lower than I though it was. Very insightfull pics. Thanks

Comment

I'm with David on this ....alive is my vote.

Comment

She'll live

Snakelover nailed it.

Comment

my vote

live for some days only..

Comment

knew a guy from Boerne who did the same thing. His wife shot the deer next year during rifle season. Arrow was snapped off both sides and healed up! With a section of arrow still in her! I say you'll see her again. Give her some time she'll show again.

Comment

Working...
                            X