Calling Surveyors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling Surveyors

Helping a neighbor and ourselves really with finding boundaries. Can someone give some quick pointers on the symbols here? Solid lines are? Hashed line is?
    Why are there rods on both line sets? Where should I start measuring? (Hashed or solid) Tracts are very grown up so google earth is not very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hashed lines do resemble some fencing in place today. Give or take.

Comment

That's an OLD survey!

The "hashed" lines appear to be the edges of the roads.
      The dark lines are the actual property lines.
      USUALLY, they drive the iron rods at the property corners. This doesn't seem to be the case with this one.

I don't know of a way for you to measure this out, without getting an actual surveyor out there.
      If the rods were at the corners, it'd be easy.

Comment

That west side boundary looks to be in the center of Nevins Rd. Roads were generally placed on a survey line so that the property owners would be losing equal amounts of land for the benefit of having public access.The round dots on the highlighted line show to be iron rods that were set by previous surveyor. If you have a metal detector you may be able to locate them.

Comment

Where is the property located? I could help you out if your not to far from me.

Comment

I am thinking about getting a metal detector and a measuring wheel.

Sorry, I understand the hashed lines in the roads. Better description is notched maybe. Its the "notched" lines that could be fences today.

I am trying to get our survey of our tracts --- if there is one.

South of Apple Springs, Texas - 5hour drive for you thebowhunters! Thanks though.

Comment

The "notched" line is fencing. It's a break line with an "x" in the break typically depicting a barbed wire fence. The property lines vary significantly from the fences on this survey.

Hard to believe that survey was done after 1998.

A new survey might serve y'all well.
              Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

North line of Jacobs (1 acre) tract states 208.61'.
                208.61 x 208.61 = 43,518 sf. Almost the called for (1 acre) for Jacobs.
                Surveyors units are tenth's of a foot, not inches.

208.61', That's for the entire length of Jacobs north line, not the measured distance between the set iron rods.
                Look at Jacob's Northwest corner..
                Surveyor set an iron rod near the fence 20' from the actual northwest corner of Jacobs.
                Measuring from rod to rod along that north line would be 188.61'

Looks like the west line runs down the center of the Nevins Road.

I'd start looking for the set rod by the fence intersection near Jacobs Northwest corner.
                Hope this helps.

Comment

That looks like some sort of hand drawn deed sketch, with a few improvements shown, nothing more. Is it sealed?

Those rods are set as references to the actual property corner so they're not in the road and easily disturbed. Typically that's done when the property line falls in the middle of a road, in a creek or ditch, lake, etc.

As far as line types, the guys above seem to be spot on.

Comment

The survey will remain the same. Your 'useable property' and the survey or deeded property aren't always the same thing.
                    Another thing for you to check on is the amount of land that you are being taxed on. That portion of the survey that is included with roads and right-of-ways should NOT be taxed because it can't be used by you as you see fit.

Comment

Clark, Thanks. I questioned where the dimensions are supposed to start. I now understand what the 15 and 20 ft mean.

Again, the only thing that really concerns me out of this is the North and East boundaries as well as the 15/100 acre Friedrich tract. Luckily most of those should be easy to find. 20 years might be quite rough on metal stakes though. This east texas sand is hard on metal.

This is just a text message from my neighbor. I have not seen the real paper. I'm sure I can find out who did it, who knows if they are still in business.

Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by Devin View Post
                        Hard to believe that survey was done after 1998.

A new survey might serve y'all well.
                        Agreed 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                          The survey will remain the same. Your 'useable property' and the survey or deeded property aren't always the same thing.
                          Another thing for you to check on is the amount of land that you are being taxed on. That portion of the survey that is included with roads and right-of-ways should NOT be taxed because it can't be used by you as you see fit.
                          The part about not being taxed on the road is not true. You are paying taxes on the whole place.

Comment

Working...
                          X