Shop wiring question-mc cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm wiring my shop and I'm using mc cable (wire that is inside a flexible aluminum jacket). My question is how do attach/ support/ control the cable when running it down the I beam? A little more explanation...... when running the cable from one side of the shop to the other I have to run it along the I beam roof support. My plan is to let it sit on the little lip at the bottom of the I beam but I need a way to hold the cable in place so it looks neet and does not fall off the edge. I don't really want to have to drill through the I beam to install some kinda brackets, I'm thinking there is bound to be some kinda clips that I can clip to the I beam that will hold the mc cable in place. Anyone see anything like that or any other ideas how to hold the wire in place.

What about the little plastic clips with double sided tape on them. I think ive seen them at Lowes

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
      What about the little plastic clips with double sided tape on them. I think ive seen them at Lowes
      My dad mentioned that, and it's not a bad idea, I'm just not sure how long that adhesive will last, especially right up at the roof in the Texas heat.

Anyone try this with long term success?

Comment

Beam clamp with a strap affixed to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those work. Clean where you want them, most have a hole for a screw.. .if on metal...a drop of super glue on the sticky tape works great. Get the right size zip ties for them

Comment

Not my favorite type but wanted to able to show threaded hole on back
            Electrical supply house will have them, Home Depot might

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
              Beam clamp with a strap affixed to it

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post

Not my favorite type but wanted to able to show threaded hole on back
              Electrical supply house will have them, Home Depot might

Awesome man, thanks. I think those will be perfect. I can just zip tie the cable up against the clamp. And I found some light duty ones at Home Depot that will be perfect.
              Attached Files

Comment

You bet
                I have unfortunately ran my share of that stuff

Comment

Go with the beam clamps for sure. The stickybacks wont last up there, they dont hardly last inside a panel.

Edit: I think Caddy might make some clips for that also, its been a while but I think I have seen them.
                  Last edited by WTucker; 05-22-2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Electrical supply house might have these or something similar, work great for mc cable.

Comment

Use beam clamps or some Caddy “beat on” clamps like posted above. I personally would use the beat on clamps. Easier and less parts involved.

Comment

Definitely some sort of Caddy bang on.

Either the ones above, or if you want a stand off type strap, look at these:

If you're on a budget, one hole straps will do just fine. Support every 5' (code calls for 6' but that can get droopy). I use wafer head lath screws (self tappers) in purlin material.

PS - sticky squares mentioned above will not last the summer. Even if you replace the adhesive with the super duper sticky stuff. They will fall off. Been there, done that.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone I really really appreciate it. The knowledge on this site never ceases to amaze me.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                            Thanks for the replies everyone I really really appreciate it. The knowledge on this site never ceases to amaze me.

We used these...

Last edited by nursejenn; 05-22-2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Go to an electric supply company. They have clips that fit on I beam or perlin. They work great and are cheap. Ill get a pic tonight and post it up for ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X