No announcement yet.

Took Whipple to the emergency vet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayers for your pup! I sure hope she recovers ASAP!

Comment

Originally posted by JANSLEY817 View Post
      I had an Australian shepherd that got pyometra(sp?). She healed up from it just fine. She was in pretty bad shape at first. Was told if you do not plan on breeding your dog, to get them fixed. Supposedly if they have been bred, they wont get it.
      Not true. Any dog that is not fixed is susceptible to this. I've had dogs anywhere from 2 years of age, all the way to up to 12-14 years of age. As long as they have a uterus and ovaries, there's always a possibility of it happening.

Comment

Praying for your little girl and thanks for keeping us updated. We can all learn so much from others... thank you

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
          Not true. Any dog that is not fixed is susceptible to this. I've had dogs anywhere from 2 years of age, all the way to up to 12-14 years of age. As long as they have a uterus and ovaries, there's always a possibility of it happening.
          Thought it was odd, but that is what the vet told me.

Comment

dang, just reading this. Glad she is doing better.

Comment

Prayers for your pup

Comment

Prolonged or chronic infection can cause Neutropenia or lowered white cell count. Hope your pup is recovering well and makes a full recovery.
                Originally posted by Fooshman View Post
                Just got done transporting her to the normal vet and getting her settled in for observation/antibiotics.

Little more on what it is...Pyometra/peritonitis....basically her uterus filled with pus and ruptured filling her belly.

Her uterus is supposed to be about the size of a hot dog....it is more like a 3# package of sausages.

What is throwing the vets off is that when she was in there last week for not feeling good her white blood count was normal (12k). Last night it was just a little low (8k). Normally when this happens it is very high (40k).

Comment

Originally posted by JANSLEY817 View Post
                  Thought it was odd, but that is what the vet told me.
                  I think what he meant was every time the ***** has a heat cycle and is not bred, she is susceptible to pyometra.

Bad deal, hope she pulls through.

Comment

Sounds like you made a good choice.. Sounds like she's feeling a lot better

Comment

Well, I was about to post an update earlier around 2:00, sadly I had to rush out the door.

The update was that we got a voicemail from the vet around 1:40 and called back. He said she isn't really responsive and seems to be in a lot of pain. He gave her some more narcotics. Broke my heart when the vet said that she might not pull through.

I was about to type all that up when the gf came running into the room telling me we need to go. The vet called and said we should come up there. Rode the speed limiter the entire way there. She passed right before we got there.

We are devastated.

R.I.P. Water Walker's Dark Horse (11/21/2010 - 5/22/2018)...you were a special one.

Here she is with the last bird of this season waiting to get into the truck...

I didn't plan on posting our hunting pictures from this season, but now I think I will. Hope yall don't mind.

Comment

Dang it man. Really hate that y'all have to go through this. I Fred the day we have to go through it. Prayers sent for y'all.

Comment

Sorry for your loss

Comment

Sorry bud, lost my lab Saturday morning at 3 am. I'm right there with you. It sucks.

Comment

Sad. Sorry for your loss.

Skinny

Comment

I am so sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X