Did not give up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did not give up

Shot a cull eight ths morning. Found some blood but the trail ended quickly. Searched for forty-five minutes just going on instinct that a wounded deer will go downhill. Finally jumped him, waited another fifteen minutes found blood where he jumped up but no other blood. Walked slowly in the direction he went and after about fifteen minutes of searching, I jumped him again. I waited another fifteen minutes before going after him again. I looked for over an hour and found nothing. So two hours in and no sign of him. I went back to the house to get some breakfast and rest a bit. Went back out to where I last saw him and after another 30 minutes of looking in the other direction I found him. Then the fun started, had to drag him about 150 yards through thick brush. The next time I think I need to make a better shot.

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug. I've learned that if you are unsure of the shot just wait a couple hours (if you know it's a gut shot wait at least 6 hours). I've had some really bad experiences continuing to push deer and
    I won't do it anymore I've learned from my mistakes.

Comment

A phrase I've learned to live by when it comes to tracking deer.... "When in doubt, back out."

Definitely want to give them plenty of time. A deer can go a looonnnggg way on even a pretty good shot. Glad you got him, but in the future, if you jump him, I'd just plan on easing out and picking up the trail again much later than 15 min. I imagine if you had waited a little while longer before starting the track, he would have been dead in the first bed he laid up in and maybe saved you some of the dragging work

Congrats on the kill and recovery! Let's see some pics.

Comment

Dad taught me to wait 30 min. Now, I practice 45 min of waiting after the shot.

Comment

Glad you found him. I venture to say almost all of us have inadvertently pushed animals before, glad you were able to find yours. Congrats.

Comment

Couple years ago, another lease mate shot an older buck late in the evening. Took him 3 hours and a knife....

Comment

Working...
            X