winter food plot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winter food plot?

We are going to be planting some food plots for this winter in the Lampasas area. One will be about 5 acres and one about 3. I was just wondering what to plant. The soil is pretty decent with some good black dirt. There has never been any planting done in those areas so we will have to do some prep work. Thanks for any info!

wheat works well

Comment

send off a soil sample

Comment

Any cool season vegetation should attract deer. One thing to consider however is how many animals you will attract when you try to establish your crop. When plants are young and trying to put on leaf and root area, they cannot be hammered to hard if you expect them to survive. In Lampassas, what you plant will be the best tasting thing in the pasture and the animals will hammer it. I am not saying don't try, you just might not get as good of results as you might expect without some sort of fencing.

Aggie Class '06

Comment

thanks for the tips and I will keep that in mind. I will try to figure out a way to keep them off it till it gets going. where can you send soil samples to?

Comment

Working...
          X