Aransas 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
    Yes, at least 11" boots. In hunting the refuge for 48 years I've stepped on dozens of water moccasins there, only three rattlesnakes though.
    Fify

Originally posted by Slingingsticks View Post
    Must have been a lot of people put in. we’re a group of four and waiting on 2nd draw for Aransas archery
    Looks that way. their needs to be stand-by hunters and we need to make sure everyone asks for them. One of the rifle hunts last year had only about 50 hunters show and the permits were all sold out. Sure looks like they want the money but not the hunters.

Comment

I drew the Aransas NWR archery as well. I have never hunted it but I have been to the area that’s closed to hunting and wade fished San Antonio bay. Does this area have a camp for us to stay at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fify

Looks that way. their needs to be stand-by hunters and we need to make sure everyone asks for them. One of the rifle hunts last year had only about 50 hunters show and the permits were all sold out. Sure looks like they want the money but not the hunters.
        Just got email this morning 26 August, we were drawn for Aransas Wildlife refuge

Comment

I just got my email this morning for this hunt. It will be my first time hunting the area. Any tips are appreciated. I'm used to hunting pines in the Sam. This looks more like oaks and grass.

Comment

I will be there unless work gets in the way......

Comment

Anyone of y’all going to the scout day?

Comment

Originally posted by LVhunter09 View Post
                Anyone of y’all going to the scout day?

We wanted to go on the scouting day but have to have the IBEP class and I haven’t been successful in getting in touch with the refuge for more info. If you know anything about the class please share!

Comment

Originally posted by Caneycreek View Post
                  We wanted to go on the scouting day but have to have the IBEP class and I haven’t been successful in getting in touch with the refuge for more info. If you know anything about the class please share!

The word I got there will not be an IBEP class this year. Haven't any update on the early scouting if you have an IBEP card?

There's just not enough time to fill the class with the drawings continuing right up until, and even past, the class date. JMO

Comment

The word I got there will not be an IBEP class this year. Haven't any update on the early scouting if you have an IBEP card?

There's just not enough time to fill the class with the drawings continuing right up until, and even past, the class date. JMO

Thanks. Guess we will just show up and scout the first day of the hunt. Any idea if the card is required to scout on sept 28? I’ve continued to call the refuge but no answer.

Comment

I'm intending to go down for the scouting weekend and have the online portion of the IBEP done. I couldn't find a listed field class though anywhere in Texas. The way the hunt info sheet read it didn't seem like you needed it for the scouting weekend, just that there was an extra scouting opportunity if you had it. Did I read that wrong? I haven't been able to get anybody on the phone either.
                      Last edited by Slim79x; 08-26-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slim79x View Post
                        I'm intending to go down for the scouting weekend and have the online portion of the IBEP done. I couldn't find a listed field class though anywhere in Texas. The way the hunt info sheet read it didn't seem like you needed it for the scouting weekend, just that was an extra scouting opportunity if you had it. Did I read that wrong? I haven't been able to get anybody on the phone either.
                        No, you read it right. The extra scouting is/was the weekend before regular scouting weekend. You do not need an IBEP card on the scouting weekend before the hunt. Strange the refuge will not answer their phones, been like this sense Harvey. Try calling the USFWS in Albuquerque NM. Make sure to tell them we need to have standby hunters just like the other TPWD Draw Hunts.

US Fish & Wildlife Department Services
                        Conservation department in Albuquerque, New Mexico
                        Address: 500 Gold Ave SW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
                        Phone: (505) 248-6911

Comment

Anyone who has hunted here before, is it recommended or beneficial to bring a bicycle or is a vehicle and walking going to work?

Comment

Thanks. Guess we will just show up and scout the first day of the hunt. Any idea if the card is required to scout on sept 28? I’ve continued to call the refuge but no answer.

I am down for using the first day to scout if everyone else is.

Anyone know if you need a reservation or how much capacity Hopper's landing has?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ibethemarc View Post
                              I am down for using the first day to scout if everyone else is.

Anyone know if you need a reservation or how much capacity Hopper's landing has?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
                              I've booked a cabin and a couple RV spots. It is difficult to get the lady on the phone. Usually takes several attempts. I believe the cabins are all reserved and the only 50 amp is taken. All that remains is 30amp spots.

Comment

Hello everyone! I've trolled around here for years and I'm finally joining to participate in the conversations!
                                I got lucky and got drawn on the 2nd draw. Looking forward to seeing fellow memebers, I will be camping at hoppers Tuesday and Wednesday night of that week.

Comment

Working...
                                X