No announcement yet.

Anyone else hunt out of a saddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of knot did you tie on those caribiners?

Comment

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
      What kind of knot did you tie on those caribiners?

That was a temporary overhand knot for a proof of concept. I don't recommend them because they will lose their tail and eventually come undone with repeated loads. I can't remember the name of the exact variation of knot I tied as the final... It is essentially a single ended water knot. Still not a slip free knot, but my tails are long, and I vary my bridge length enough that it will get re-tied once or twice a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by IkemanTX; 08-12-2016, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Just found the name, I used an "overhand on a bight".

Comment

Although webbing does not slip much you could tie a stopper knot with the tag end. Leave yourself plenty of tail on the tag end,loop it around the load end and tie an overhand knot in it.

Comment

We use a HSS tree strap for a tether line with the prussic knot, Works great.

Comment

Check this out. Themule.com
              I use a Nif-t-seat and hunt the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
                Although webbing does not slip much you could tie a stopper knot with the tag end. Leave yourself plenty of tail on the tag end,loop it around the load end and tie an overhand knot in it.
                The overhand on a bight is listed as a rescue approved knot. I am pretty obsessive about checking my gear before use, and that is one of the first items on the list. I haven't had any measurable slippage so far. It is just such a quick and easy knot to tie. I can switch from a 24" bridge to a 30" in a matter of a minute or less...

Originally posted by scoutman View Post
                We use a HSS tree strap for a tether line with the prussic knot, Works great.

I use my HSS w/Prussic for my lineman's belt at the moment. I hope to get a couple ropeman 1 ascenders next year to replace both the Prussic knot, and the webbing tree strap I use.

Comment

Most of the original saddle designs were/are based loosely off of arborist harnesses. They can be fairly complicated affairs with lots of straps for adjustability, and are designed to be sat in. There has become almost more home built saddles than purchased now and they seem to be evolving more into a waist belt that is leaned into (while standing on some sort of step or platform) instead of a sitting position.

Here are some of those really compact and simple setups that do basically the same thing as mine. I will be going to something like this in the near future... None of these are my work or design.

And just to show how compact and light some setups can get, here is one with a pad that only weighs 10 ounces for the saddle itself...

Comment

Very nice

Comment

old school, i like it

Comment

^

Comment

It's something I've been thinking about for a long time but still haven't tried it. Is there a forum somewhere just for this? Where did you find all the pics?

One concern I've had is noise while getting set up. I sneak in slow and quiet and usually don't even use a light. Can you be pretty quiet getting in a tree? I'm on a lease so I could leave steps and whatever else I needed in the tree so I guess that would help.

Is there a build thread on those steps?

Comment

Originally posted by Carny View Post
                            It's something I've been thinking about for a long time but still haven't tried it. Is there a forum somewhere just for this? Where did you find all the pics?

One concern I've had is noise while getting set up. I sneak in slow and quiet and usually don't even use a light. Can you be pretty quiet getting in a tree? I'm on a lease so I could leave steps and whatever else I needed in the tree so I guess that would help.

Is there a build thread on those steps?

There is a forum, and it is also on Tapatalk. It is called saddlehunter.com

As far as being quiet, going up a tree with screw in steps is about as quiet as it gets. Pre-prepped trees with permanent infrastructure would be a piece of cake. I just use the climbing sticks because I can't use anything that causes damage on public land.

As far as the added steps, I don't think I ever did a dedicated build thread on them. They are pretty simple though. It is just nylon tubular webbing and flexible schedule 80 irrigation hose. Each step has a loop of webbing for itself, so it is a small loop inside a bigger loop. I tied a simple water knot at the top and sewed the two loops to keep them together. I just hang the knot over the bottom v-bracket before the stick goes on the tree.

Last edited by IkemanTX; 08-15-2016, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Do you usually go pretty high? I will eventually try this but from what I've seen it looks like you might get spotted pretty easily. Maybe it's not an issue but the way you are sticking out from the tree and can move all around it seems like you would stand out. Have you had any problems with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Carny View Post
                                Do you usually go pretty high? I will eventually try this but from what I've seen it looks like you might get spotted pretty easily. Maybe it's not an issue but the way you are sticking out from the tree and can move all around it seems like you would stand out. Have you had any problems with that?

I typically end up 18-20ft up

Comment

Working...
                                X