Best device for checking camera cards in the field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    You might try an erase all with the camera on the card... Most cams reformat the card which helps to avoid the issue of multiple forms of software on one card which confuses most cams...
    This, need to format them with the camera that its in. I use my phone to view them. Don't need cell service to read them. And you can screen shot the ones you want to keep.

Comment

I have a stealth cam card reader for my iphone. It's so small I can't keep up with it. I've lost two already. Also, I don't like viewing so many pics on my phone. It hurts my eyes.

What I want is to be able to pull camera card, load all the images on to a device, put the card back in the camera and move on to the next camera.
      If I stay at the ranch to hunt or something I'd like to be able to look through the pictures while I'm in the stand.

Sounds like an ultra small portable laptop is probably the ticket. Any suggestions? Since it's just going to be for looking at camera cards and uploading a select few pictures to Dropbox, something under $500 would be ideal.
      Last edited by Sika; 09-04-2018, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I bought an adapter for my ipad but the only way to see more than a thumbnail size picture was to download the entire card to the ipad. That was slow and if I had multiple cameras at 2K pictures it would fill up pretty fast.

I just keep my laptop in the truck now and swap cards out. Sometimes if I am getting in the stand to hunt I will use the ipad or digital camera to check the pics from the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          I, like you, bring the cards back home and load them on my computer, in the comfort of my home, in the AC, where I can study them. I have pondered using an iPad to do exactly what you are describing, but things like dirt, grit, sweat, falling and breaking the iPad have all changed my mind. Did I say something about the comfort of my home? I have found also that on a smaller screen it is easy to miss some details that would be obvious on a bigger screen.
          Not to mention getting et up by skeeters, in the bottoms I hunt.

Comment

Swap the cards with clean ones, go back to camp and drink some beer while viewing on the laptop. You had it right to start with!

Comment

I have a $9 Stealth cam memory card viewer. I simply pull the card and upload the pics onto my Android phone, then stick the card back into the camera . From there you can peruse the images at your leisure in a stand or at camp, and download the pictures you want to keep before deleting the rest. Takes about a minute to download 2000 6.1MP images on my phone. Very cheap and fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                I use a Bone View card reader. Hooks directly to my phone. I will swap the card with a blank card so I'm not standing around by the camera for any longer than I have to to swap the card. Then I can hook up my device and load the pics into an album in my phone. I can sit there and go through pics while sitting in the blind or stand. My has worked well for the last 4 years or so. It's simple, small and lightweight. I just keep it in my hunting pack so it's always with me in the filed.
                This. I check about 15 cameras every week. Check the cards with the bond view in the field, in case I need to make adjustments, replace the sd card with a new one and then take them all home to study on the computer.

Comment

I got a cheap dell laptop with the touch screen ,I like the touch screen for swipe to next picture and to save picture is faster for me than doing all with the mousepad,
                  going through 100 or so pictures is not hard to do on any of the veiwers but when your getting 4000 on each camera it really turns into a job.
                  I wish I could write code for APP's because I have an idea for a trailcam viewer APP

Comment

Microsoft Surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                      I have a stealth cam card reader for my iphone. It's so small I can't keep up with it. I've lost two already. Also, I don't like viewing so many pics on my phone. It hurts my eyes.

What I want is to be able to pull camera card, load all the images on to a device, put the card back in the camera and move on to the next camera.
                      If I stay at the ranch to hunt or something I'd like to be able to look through the pictures while I'm in the stand.

Sounds like an ultra small portable laptop is probably the ticket. Any suggestions? Since it's just going to be for looking at camera cards and uploading a select few pictures to Dropbox, something under $500 would be ideal.
                      I use an iPad 128 gig, it’s lightweight, easy to download, easy to view, easy to delete pictures. The iPad and the SD card attachment really never leave my game bag throughout hunting season. It’s worked well for me

Comment

I am soon test a small Chromebook that will run 2 USB devices, flash drive in one and card reader in the other. Transfer files to flash drive.
                        Last edited by dbaio1; 09-04-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

The problem I have is in 2 weeks we have 2K pics. I take my laptop, download them and erase the card and put it back in the camera. Go through the pics when I get back to camp.

Comment

I'm not sure how much time this would take but... You could link up your phone with Dropbox so all your camera roll photos automatically upload to Dropbox/the cloud (great way to have back up photos as well), and then you could view them in Dropbox on your computer. It's relatively cheap to get a lot of storage on Dropbox as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                              I use an iPad 128 gig, it’s lightweight, easy to download, easy to view, easy to delete pictures. The iPad and the SD card attachment really never leave my game bag throughout hunting season. It’s worked well for me
                              Is it one of the newer generation iPads?? Can you view the pics without uploading them in a larger format than the thumbnails??

Comment

I use my Ipad with a lighting plug card reader.

Comment

Working...
                                X