Spanish lessons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
    I had a friend that married a Spanish lady once. He came home drunk one night and she beat the heck out of him with a Cast Iron Skillet. He learned only the cuss words.
    That’s because he came home smelling like puta.

Comment

You could check with your local community college system to see if they have any type of continuing education involving foreign language. Otherwise, you probably would need to find a part-time tutor if you don't care for the on-line type resources.

As stated, immersion really is the best way to learn, at least conversational Spanish or any other language. If you have the opportunity to live or work where it's predominately spoken, one would be surprised how much and how fast you can learn.

Rossetta Stone or similar work ok, but you have to stick with it, be consistent and put in hours of time with it. That's why being immersed with a foreign language works so well. You basically are forced to learn continually on a daily basis.

Comment

Babble worked pretty well, you just have to use it regularly IMO to actually get anything out of it.

Comment

thanks for all of the suggestions but i don't have the ability to immerse myself as many of you have suggested. i wish i could but i don't have the time. if i could i would spend a few weeks in a spanish speaking country and probably learn tons. The online classes and similar things just don't work for me as i am not dedicated enough to stick to it. but if i sign up for classes i will go. i know that is a personal problem.

what i don't want it a traditional class like what you would take in school as i really believe that i can read it once i know the spoken portion. As for the writing i know that i will not use that.

Basically i want to learn how to speak Spanish, i don't really care about the reading and writing.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
            thanks for all of the suggestions but i don't have the ability to immerse myself as many of you have suggested. i wish i could but i don't have the time. if i could i would spend a few weeks in a spanish speaking country and probably learn tons. The online classes and similar things just don't work for me as i am not dedicated enough to stick to it. but if i sign up for classes i will go. i know that is a personal problem.

what i don't want it a traditional class like what you would take in school as i really believe that i can read it once i know the spoken portion. As for the writing i know that i will not use that.

Basically i want to learn how to speak Spanish, i don't really care about the reading and writing.

How will you use Spanish in your life?

Whats your reasoning for wanting to learn it?

Comment

Habla Houston

I really would like to learn Spanish this year. I have purchased something similar to Rosetta Stone but just not for me. I would like one on one lessons anyone have suggestions in the Houston area to do so? I have looked online but really would like suggestions of places that someone has used before.
              I used this before to brush up on my own Spanish. It's designed for working people and is typically in groups. You might call them to see if they can do exactly the focus you are looking for:
              Whoops! There's been a 404 error. Please try submitting your request again.  ¡Gracias!

Comment

Have to practice every day. Took me 2 years to learn. I was in Spain though..

Comment

I know a lady who is learning Spanish via Skype one on one with a lady and the lessons are geared towards her everyday usage and it has helped her a ton. I think it is through texas state or ut. I have emailed her so I can get you the information.

Comment

[QUOTE=alwaysinshorts;13214711]thanks for all of the suggestions but i don't have the ability to immerse myself as many of you have suggested.

Sure you do. Put the radio station in your car and the TV at the house on Spanish stations. My wife laughs at me every time she gets in my work truck because its always on the tejano station.

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
                      I used this before to brush up on my own Spanish. It's designed for working people and is typically in groups. You might call them to see if they can do exactly the focus you are looking for:
                      http://www.hablahouston.com/houston-...structors.html
                      I have already spoken to them. I am in Clear Lake (SE Houston) most of their groups classes are downtown or the Northwest side of town. I asked them for private lessons and the owner no longer lived in Houston and has to fly here for private lessons so she doesn't do them very often.

Comment

I really would like to learn Spanish this year. I have purchased something similar to Rosetta Stone but just not for me. I would like one on one lessons anyone have suggestions in the Houston area to do so? I have looked online but really would like suggestions of places that someone has used before.

Spanishforgood.com is the thing I mentioned earlier in a post. It seemed to really help the lady I was getting trees from communicate with her employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ON THE EDGE View Post
                          Learned most of my Spanish working on the predominantly Spanish side of town. You kinda have to be immersed in it to become fluent. Otherwise the “if ya don’t use it, you lose it.” Saying kicks in
                          This is a true statement ! I worked with a guy for about a year who was from El Salvador. I taught him Englis and he taught me Spanish. That was in '80/'81 and I can remember very little now.

Comment

I can tell you when I worked in mex I got to see this first hand. Did bunch of work for black & decker / dewalt & watched many folks grasp the language quick that relocated from the states. the company offered free private lessons along with the Rosetta Stone day one.

The vast majority dropped the private because the rs was easier to grasp...the trick is to combine it with daily practice which they were fortunate & force fed.

Comment

I took four years of Spanish in Junior (now Middle School) and High School. Learned very little. During my oilfield days, I worked in Venezuela. I was surprised how quickly some of what I had learned came back to me.

Some good suggestions above. You might try tuning in to Spanish speaking television stations and turning on the closed captioning.

Comment

Learn to pour concrete you'll have it in no time

Comment

Working...
                                X