No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" 2014 Aransas Wildlife Refuge Hunt Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a regular one? They make the Mad Dog...pricey. Top and Bottom?

Comment

I use Shannon but tamer top only.
      Mosquito spray and thermocell for the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
        TX50, If you need to find a spot to start out with there's plenty of room back in where I'm hunting.
        Thank you; I appreciate the offer. I'm going with some guys who have been going for years and will likely hunt with them.

Comment

Originally posted by GulfCoastRaider View Post
          Bring Thermacell's, plenty of refills, and 100% DEET, the 'squitors will be horrible, especially if frequent rains continue. Usually about get carried off by swarms without plenty of spray and thermacells burning.
          I will have a Thermocell, but I plan on trying to make my own mosquito repellent for this hunt. I wanted to avoid the odor of the chemical sprays if I can. I've looked up some recipes for "all natural" products to combine and use as a repellent.
          If it don't work, I'll have some Backwoods Off, or Cutters, or something as a backup plan.

Comment

Trying to avoid the odor is a noble idea but it has been my experience that you are drenched in sweat by the time you get to your stand.

Comment

I'm sure that's true, but I've hunted in south Texas for years and it's always HOT in the October bow season. I've sat there with sweat dripping from my nose it was so hot. I always try to do everything I possibly can to limit the amount of odor I give off, to include scent free laundry detergent for my clothes, scent free soap and shampoo, scent elimination sprays, etc. This is just one more way I'm trying to reduce the impact I have on the environment by any odor I give off while hunting.
              I realize that there is no way to completely be odor free, especially in south Texas in October, but I figure I'll do everything I can to keep from spooking the deer any more than I have to.

Comment

This is a walk in only area? No ATV's? Can you use a bicycle to get far back in the Refuge?

There is a place on the Refuge for camping during the hunt?

How large is the Refuge?

Comment

Even Thermocells don't work when its really bad at Aransas..... these are the worst, meanest, biggest, badest mosquitos that South Texas coastal area has to offer...... when they are bad ----- they are really bad. Only 100% deet will keep them off your skin.... Slice-n-Dice is right --- no way to be scent free at Aransas..... unless you hunt from the truck.... just got to hunt the wind..... but there are bucks that die of old age there, and never seen a human.... that means big ones...... they are there..... just got to get real lucky......

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodtracy View Post
                    This is a walk in only area? No ATV's? Can you use a bicycle to get far back in the Refuge?

There is a place on the Refuge for camping during the hunt?

How large is the Refuge?

This will be my first year there too, but I've been told that:
                    1. You can drive in on the main roads only
                    2. No ATV's unless you have a physical handicap that requires it and the staff approves its use
                    3. You can use a bicycle if you can ride one in deep sand
                    4. There is no camping on the refuge.
                    5. I don't know the size of the place but it looks plenty big

AND......you guys are probably right about the mosquito repellent but I've got to try. I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes, good or bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas5o View Post
                      I will have a Thermocell, but I plan on trying to make my own mosquito repellent for this hunt. I wanted to avoid the odor of the chemical sprays if I can. I've looked up some recipes for "all natural" products to combine and use as a repellent.
                      If it don't work, I'll have some Backwoods Off, or Cutters, or something as a backup plan.
                      That back up plan needs to say 50% to 100% Deet.

Comment

How large is the Refuge?
                        Just the bowhunting area is 33K acres.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas5o View Post
                          This will be my first year there too, but I've been told that:
                          1. You can drive in on the main roads only
                          2. No ATV's unless you have a physical handicap that requires it and the staff approves its use
                          3. You can use a bicycle if you can ride one in deep sand
                          4. There is no camping on the refuge.
                          5. I don't know the size of the place but it looks plenty big

AND......you guys are probably right about the mosquito repellent but I've got to try. I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes, good or bad.
                          Thanks for the info

What do most hunt from, tripods or pop ups/ground blinds, what do you guys recommend?

Comment

Thanks for the info

What do most hunt from, tripods or pop ups/ground blinds, what do you guys recommend?
                            Also when you hunting how long can you leave your tripods or pop ups/ground blinds set up? Is it daily or wile you on the refuge hunting?

Comment

Small tripods about 5' are best. You can hunt off the ground in some places. You can leave your stands out from your scouting days to the end of the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by SLICE & DICE View Post
                                Small tripods about 5' are best. You can hunt off the ground in some places. You can leave your stands out from your scouting days to the end of the hunt.
                                Thanks, if you leave them out do you lable them? I would hate to go to my stand to find someone in it hunting

Comment

Working...
                                X