No announcement yet.

"Official" Somerville WMA thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey rack I have also found some dead deer to and yes I know where the feeders are surrounding the property....... Where do u back up to????? North or south side??? I have a few stands in areas around the feeders but do not hunt the feeders at all. There are alot of deer I located bedding 150 yards or so then working to the feeders.... The bucks scent check those bedding areas for hot does. I hunt the scrape lines going to a from there. I would like to compare trail cam pics to c if we have the same deer on camera so we can learn more.
    I am for whatever can make the area better!!!!

Yeah I hate when all those guns start going off. Sure dies ruin my quite time:/

I sat opening morning till 1 o'clock then sat yesterday evening from 4 till dark...... Saw nothing

Comment

Hey rack I have also found some dead deer to and yes I know where the feeders are surrounding the property....... Where do u back up to????? North or south side??? I have a few stands in areas around the feeders but do not hunt the feeders at all. There are alot of deer I located bedding 150 yards or so then working to the feeders.... The bucks scent check those bedding areas for hot does. I hunt the scrape lines going to a from there. I would like to compare trail cam pics to c if we have the same deer on camera so we can learn more.
      I am for whatever can make the area better!!!!

Yeah I hate when all those guns start going off. Sure dies ruin my quite time:/

I sat opening morning till 1 o'clock then sat yesterday evening from 4 till dark...... Saw nothing

Comment

South side. Dead center. We used to have problems w guys hunting the public land driving into our place to gain access to center of public land. Actually ran 2 guys in a jeep out of our place on the monday following opening wkend. Said according to their map our well pad road was a public road...we have heard em all. We watch the herd closely all yr either by plenty of trailcams and sitting in blinds once a week during spring and summer. We take culls (spikes & 3 pt) early in season before the rut to get em out of breeding pool. Then we hunt for trophies. We have "must takes" and "eye candy"...must takes are 5 1/2 yr old 8pt, 4 1/2 YR OLD 6PT & 7PT...EYE CANDY IS ANY DEER AT LEAST 4 1/2 YRS OLD THAT APPEALS TO U (GIVES THESE BETTER GENETIC BUCKS AT LEAST 2 YRS OF BREEDING TIME....THIS YR, HIGHER END BUCK NUMBERS ARE EITHER DOWN OR MORE WENT NOCTURNAL THAN NORMAL BECAUSE WE HAVENT SEEN NOT A SINGLE ONE

Comment

rack, I started a 2013-2014 S'ville thread. Looks like you found it now though.

I know which well pad you've got. I've only wondered for about 22 years now if there was a way to drive into there. LOL! But I always figured there wasn't, and never even tried. It's a long walk to where your place is, for sure! I've only walked to that area 2x in all those years.

My hat's off to anyone that makes that trek. It's a solid mile from either parking area, one way!

John

Comment

Yeah I have hunted there quite a bit a few years ago. Yeah I have one 4 1/2 9 point that made a big improvement from last year so I'm after him for now yeah I have crossed that road before quite a bit and i knew (common sence) that I could not drive in on it. I may see you out there sometime have a great day

And limbwalker best of luck to you and I hope I see you there soon

Comment

The hog numbers are way up by us again. Geeting pucs of 10-15 hogs at each feeder every night. Got 3 traps going and have caught 7 so far this week. 2 summers ago we caught 77 hogs. We are def doing iur part to take as many out as possible!

Comment

That SE corner of Nails has always had the most hogs on that part of the area. Of course, Yegua is usually even better for hogs.

You can have them! I've shot over 600 feral hogs in my life. Don't need another.

Comment

Working...
                X