Rcovering from Drop Foot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rcovering from Drop Foot.

More specifically, physical damage to the Peroneal nerve that runs down your shin.

That is what I have. Not diabetes or bad blood flow. This is self-induced, due the way I rest my shin on the edge of my computer desk, for the last ten years. Combine that with bumping my shin on a trailer hitch, then I got severe drop foot.

For the last 15 days, I have been taking Lyrica, and I have been using a TENS machine for nearly 2 hours a day.

I am getting good results, but I don't know if it is Lyrica or the TENS that is making the difference. I hate taking Lyrica. It sucks.

Anyone else with this situation, I would like to hear what you say.

Had foot drop 40 years ago from sciatica. Took months tp get better but years to fully recover. Still have a numb spot on the outside edge of my big toe.

Comment

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
      More specifically, physical damage to the Peroneal nerve that runs down your shin.

That is what I have. Not diabetes or bad blood flow. This is self-induced, due the way I rest my shin on the edge of my computer desk, for the last ten years. Combine that with bumping my shin on a trailer hitch, then I got severe drop foot.

For the last 15 days, I have been taking Lyrica, and I have been using a TENS machine for nearly 2 hours a day.

I am getting good results, but I don't know if it is Lyrica or the TENS that is making the difference. I hate taking Lyrica. It sucks.

Anyone else with this situation, I would like to hear what you say.
      Did the Dr recommend you use a TENS unit? TENS is used for pain and not muscle motor neuron recruitment. I'd suggest you look into NMES treatments which may in fact be what you are doing. It's very similar to TENS. Make sure you try to actively dorsiflex your foot every time the machine causes a muscle contraction of the anterior tibialis. It will improve effectiveness. Also a good AFO may be needed so you don't alter your gait pattern in the process to compensate for the foot drop. Good luck and try to see if the doc will prescribe physical therapy!

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        Had foot drop 40 years ago from sciatica. Took months tp get better but years to fully recover. Still have a numb spot on the outside edge of my big toe.
        Thanks for the response. Drop foot can be caused by a number of things, including sciatica, diabetes, injury, etc.

I am asking specifically about injury to the nerve.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
          Did the Dr recommend you use a TENS unit? TENS is used for pain and not muscle motor neuron recruitment. I'd suggest you look into NMES treatments which may in fact be what you are doing. It's very similar to TENS. Make sure you try to actively dorsiflex your foot every time the machine causes a muscle contraction of the anterior tibialis. It will improve effectiveness. Also a good AFO may be needed so you don't alter your gait pattern in the process to compensate for the foot drop. Good luck and try to see if the doc will prescribe physical therapy!
          Thanks for this reply.

I got a TENS unit, based on the fact that my foot worked better, after I had a neurologist test my lower leg with electrodes. I could nearly drive safely (right foot is affected), so I bought a pretty good TENS unit from Omron. I am getting good results.

In the last three days, I have started flexing the muscles, opposite of what the TENS unit is stimulating. That has made a big difference.

If AFO is a device that holds you foot up, while walking, I already bought one, and I am about to send it back. My gait is better, and I don't need the assist. I got lucky.

Comment

Working...
          X