Lease in Turkey Texas - Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease in Turkey Texas - Opinions

Found a lease opportunity (actually a good buddy is seriously considering it). It is in Turkey TX in Hall County (listed on the TPWD site). 2800 acres for deer, turkey, quail, hogs, etc.

Wanted to get any opinions on the area (or lease manager if anyone knows of it). It sounds intriguing with mule deer and year round access.

Appreciate any input!

how many $

Comment

First thing I would look at is how many total guns. A gun per 1000+ acres is what the game numbers will call for most likely.

Comment

I’m on highway 86 between Estelline And Turkey. There are some nice deer that way. I’ve been there for 7 seasons now. The drought has really hurt the deer population. Sometimes it makes for a rough sit. Hall county now has antler restrictions for mule deer. We don’t see any turkey on our place but as you get closer in to town you’ll see plenty. We aren’t over run with hogs but have our share. There’s a allsups and a couple of restaurants in Turkey.

Comment

Most places in that area of that size can hunt the 2 of you and maybe one more.

Comment

Love hunting up there. Used to hunta friends place. He shot a stud mule deer one year. Some turkey, lots of big pigs. And the dove hunting is awesome. Some ducks on the tanks. Depends on where you go out of town to what you can expect. If it has good canyons and big trees it should hold enough animals.

Comment

checking on the number of hunters. i think it was closer to 300 acres per hunter (8 or 9 hunters over 2800 total). is that really small for that area?

i think they had 3 spots open - maybe this is a red flag. $2500/year.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                checking on the number of hunters. i think it was closer to 300 acres per hunter (8 or 9 hunters over 2800 total). is that really small for that area?

I wouldn't put more than 3 hunters on 2,800 acres there. 2 would be even better.

Comment

Christian Loveland is the lease manager.

Comment

Way too many people for that area!

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                      Way too many people for that area!
                      Yep...crazy

Comment

I just got off a place up that way and will be happy to give you my thoughts if you want to PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by teamamerica View Post
                          checking on the number of hunters. I think it was closer to 300 acres per hunter (8 or 9 hunters over 2800 total). Is that really small for that area?

I think they had 3 spots open - maybe this is a red flag. $2500/year.
                          yes!

Comment

Run

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post

That's probably what lead to the antler restriction on mule deer. 20 inches inside spread of main beams minimum...in case you hadn't heard.

Comment

Working...
                              X