1979 Jeep CJ7 - long term refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 Jeep CJ7 - long term refresh

Just before Christmas, I unexpectedly lost a life-long friend. My buddy, Reuben, was only 45 years old when the good Lord recently called him home.

I was fortunate enough to purchase a couple of Reuben’s pistols from his family, as well as his old 1979 Jeep CJ7. As a tribute to my friend, we’ve decided to pour some dinero into the Jeep and get the old girl road/trail worthy. This will be a long term thread as we slowly make progress.

The purpose of this thread is to share the refresh of this old CJ7, but TBH members are welcome to read more about Reuben’s story and the 2 beautiful daughters he left behind, at www.gofundme.com/daughters-of-rueben-lohkamp. Please feel no obligation to donate.

Since the Jeep had not run in a couple of years, I bought a tow-bar hook-up at Walmart and towed the old girl to our local mechanic. Two weeks and $1300 later, she was running good…a new timing chain and cam gear, and even passed inspection.

The Jeep still has the original AMC 304 ci, but somewhere in her past the factor 2-barrel had been swapped for a Holly 4-barrel. The CJ7 has the factory 4 on the floor, but someone had installed headers and dual exhaust. There appears to be mufflers under the back end, but apparently they’re only for looks. She’s loud, obnoxious, and a blast to drive….not unlike the girls I dated in college.
    Attached Files

The seats were shot so I picked up some new Bestop high backs from Quadratec. I was too cheap to pay for the reclining option, but the new seats fit well and I like the black-denim color. They almost appear to be grey in the photos, but have a faded black look in person.

With the old seats removed, you can see the Jeep came with a Tuffy center console, as well as a large storage box in the rear. Both security boxes were rusty so they’ve were pulled for sanding and painting. The rear Tuffy storage box takes the place of the back seat, which may be a good thing since we have 2 teenage boys.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
      Just before Christmas, I unexpectedly lost a life-long friend. My buddy, Reuben, was only 45 years old when the good Lord recently called him home.

I was fortunate enough to purchase a couple of Reuben’s pistols from his family, as well as his old 1979 Jeep CJ7. As a tribute to my friend, we’ve decided to pour some dinero into the Jeep and get the old girl road/trail worthy. This will be a long term thread as we slowly make progress.

The purpose of this thread is to share the refresh of this old CJ7, but TBH members are welcome to read more about Reuben’s story and the 2 beautiful daughters he left behind, at www.gofundme.com/daughters-of-rueben-lohkamp. Please feel no obligation to donate.

Since the Jeep had not run in a couple of years, I bought a tow-bar hook-up at Walmart and towed the old girl to our local mechanic. Two weeks and $1300 later, she was running good…a new timing chain and cam gear, and even passed inspection.

The Jeep still has the original AMC 304 ci, but somewhere in her past the factor 2-barrel had been swapped for a Holly 4-barrel. The CJ7 has the factory 4 on the floor, but someone had installed headers and dual exhaust. There appears to be mufflers under the back end, but apparently they’re only for looks. She’s loud, obnoxious, and a blast to drive….not unlike the girls I dated in college.
      That will be a good looking Jeep. I like the old ones much better than the new ones. It will probably cost less than a new SxS even after all the work!

Comment

The side mirrors, steering wheel and hood hinges were also pretty rusty. These were pulled, sanded, and painted…small fixes, but these little things start to add up and she looking better.
        Attached Files

Comment

Following!

Nice call and tribute to a friend man!

Comment

My plan is to eventually use bedliner on the inner tub. To prepare the inner tub we removed the new seats, gave it a good power washing, and then stripped away a couple layers of old paint. I found Aircraft stripper at O’reillys and that is some powerful stuff, but I still have some sanding to complete.

Next on the list is to cut out the old rusty floor boards and install the replacement pans, which have been ordered. Once the new floor pans are installed, I have to decide whether to spend $500 on a professional spray-in liner or go the cheap DIY route.
            Attached Files

Comment

Are those the Bestop neoprene seats? If so, keep em outta the sun, they fade fast. Like several days fast.

Comment

very cool!! love my CJ 7! I have had many they are very fun!

Has anyone ever told you what J E E P stands for???

JUST
                EMPTY
                EVERY
                POCKET

Enjoy it.

Comment

Following.

Great tribute to your friend!

Heck I'm excited to watch this jeep develop, with just the minor touches you've done so far I'm really liking this build. This is gonna be a great ride, I'm sure your friend is looking down smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by GrapeApe View Post
                    Are those the Bestop neoprene seats? If so, keep em outta the sun, they fade fast. Like several days fast.
                    They are not neoprene...just some type of vinyl. I have heard the same thing about the neoprene covers. Thanks.

Comment

The replacement floor pans arrived this week so yesterday evening I went to work on the passenger side. I stopped by Northern Tool and picked up an electric metal shear, which worked really well trimming the new pan. On a side note, Northern Tool is a dangerous place to spend your lunch hour.

My trusty angle grinder and several metal cut-off wheels worked well to remove the old rusty floor. I was able to save the two support braces. One you can see with the floor removed and next to the frame. The other runs perpendicular to the length of the Jeep and along the bottom edge of the hole.

The new replacement pan was much larger than I needed. The electric shear made a clean cut when I trimmed about 2 inches off the top and made a rounded cut in the upper left. The shear was also a big help fitting the new pan down the right side next to the door well. This area had quite a bit of rust that I removed, but this meant I had to fit the old with the new like a puzzle piece.

I still have some trimming to do before I permanently attach the new pan. More to come...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Definitely a worthwhile endeavor!
                        Good on you.

Keep it going and post lots of pics, I love a good Jeep thread.

Here's my CJ project.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                          Definitely a worthwhile endeavor!
                          Good on you.

Keep it going and post lots of pics, I love a good Jeep thread.

Here's my CJ project.
                          http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=359584
                          Good job on your rig. That's a good looking CJ.

Comment

Tuned in

Comment

in for this. great build

Comment

Working...
                              X