Age this Victoria County buck, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age this Victoria County buck, please.

I'm thinking this buck will go at least 4 1/2, maybe 5 1/2, but I admit I'm weak on my aging skills. What do yall think? He is big enough for me, but if yall want to score him, feel free. In the pics that contain multiple deer, he is on the right.
    Attached Files

I would say this deer is actually 3, might be 4 but I'm leaning more toward 3.

For reference, this was from the lease I hunted in Victoria a couple years ago. Dates and times on the photo's are correct so they were taken really close to the same time of year.

This is a mature Victoria buck....
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow. Apparently I'm worse than I thought. To me, your buck looks at least 6+.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
        To me, your buck looks at least 6+.
        I agree with this but think your buck is only 3-4 too.

Comment

3 1/2

-john

Comment

Im with Murray. I believe your buck is 3.5.

Comment

No way that deers over 3.5

Comment

3.5 and 123 ish

Comment

Age this Victoria buck

TMurray pretty well nailed the buck as right at three years old. The brisket, shoulder/neck and overall body size says it is not a mature buck. Compare the two pictures and you will readily see the difference. I didn't say he wasn't really nice, just not mature. Give him a couple of years sharing those good genes with his lady friends, and then invite him home for supper! Have a safe and successful deer season!
                  PS; If you are a duck hunter, the State of Texas tripled the daily bag/possession limits for Blue Wing Teal, this season!!

Comment

Oh well, he doesnt have any mass anyway. It looks like I need to put a camera away from the feeder. In a fair number of the pics there are bucks that always hang out in the background. Some obviously young, some not. Then all I have to do is keep the turkeys away till the deer get there.
                    Last edited by miket; 09-19-2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                      Wow. Apparently I'm worse than I thought. To me, your buck looks at least 6+.
                      Absolutely, I guess I could have said that rather than mature, we call 6 1/2 mature.

Comment

Oh and the lack of mass comment you made brings me to another point. I've come to realilze hunting Victoria for 10 years that if you see a buck with good mass he's probably mature. Obviously you want to look at all of the signs but I don't think I've ever seen a 3 1/2 year old coastal buck with good mass.

Comment

Somebody mentioned in the "What do you call mature" thread a few days ago. "If the deer in question isn't obviously mature then he probably isn't". I'm guessing that every single person on this site would look at the pictures I posted and immediately say to themselves "Dang that buck OLD" that's because he is.

Comment

Comment

Different deer in last Pix.

Comment

Working...
                              X