No announcement yet.

The Push

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just figure it's swapping a different sight method. If I wanted to use a sight I would mount one on the riser or just shoot the $1800 compound set up I have sitting there collecting dust. If I can't make it happen shooting "instinctively", I'll go back to the carbon Spyder.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

It's a great video and I'm sure accurate as heck, but wouldn't that mess with the timing of the limbs if a bow wasn't tillered for holding that far under the nock?

Comment

Went out today and tried a little fixed craw. I can't make it work. Holding three under just does not feel right so I went back to split finger. What I did do though is step off 40 yards and try some point-on shooting vs instinctive. I shot one pure instinctive and sent a shaft into the dirt. The next one I tried point on and hit half a foot high, not a good shot but I hit the target. Walked back in to 25 yards and tried instinctive from there up to 10 yards. About my usual hideous shooting. Stepped back out and tried some aiming with the arrow tip and gap shooting and it was better. Truth be told out to about 25 yards a recurve is flat shooting. I understand the value of a fixed crawl for three under. I just can't make it work for me as I feel (opinion only) that a traditional archer shoots split finger. The hard part now is trying to figure out if I'm going to be a gap shooter or an instinctive shooter or if I can combine the two. I "think" I can combine the two as while I was shooting gap I noticed that my "aim" instinctively was pretty darn close to my POA.

Learn something new every time I step outside with a traditional bow in my hands.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          I just figure it's swapping a different sight method. If I wanted to use a sight I would mount one on the riser or just shoot the $1800 compound set up I have sitting there collecting dust. If I can't make it happen shooting "instinctively", I'll go back to the carbon Spyder.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
          Agreed.

My cousin and good friend rant and rave about this method and ive seen their accuracy out to 40yd-ill admit its effective, and about as natural as a compound bow.

And if you make your own primitive style arrows which dont always snap securely on the string, its a definite no go. 3 under- another definite nope.

If you practice combat style, horseback, or anything reminiscent of how archery was done over the last 5000 yrs-again its a no go. There isnt time to judge distance and crawl- and yes i get it...its like when i shot compound the debate of multi-pin vs adj. single pin (quick aquisition vs. known distance HHA stlye single pin)...shot both...

Now carry a wooden stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
            It's a great video and I'm sure accurate as heck, but wouldn't that mess with the timing of the limbs if a bow wasn't tillered for holding that far under the nock?
            I was thinking the same thing.

Ive only had time time to watch an hour so far....but in my mind...fixed crawl is about like zeroing a rifle scope...All inconsistencies omitted. However...

"To be inconsistent is to be human. To be consistent is to be Bisch"
            - Briar Friar

Nobody has a floating rifle zero. Zero the rifle and compensate for the drop and kentucky windage....unless youre a sniper and dial the scope. I dont know a trad archer who cants more or less to dial their windage or drop.
            Last edited by Briar Friar; 04-23-2017, 01:54 PM. Reason: MinusAmbiLynxSpake

Comment

Cottonwood...thanks for posting this thread.

Ive already learned quite a bit in the first hour so far. Mapping the arrow trajectory has useful implications. I had no idea about ILF.

Comment

What I found most informative was the diagram on the arc of the arrow and how it's pretty darn flat out to about 25yds. When he adjusted the blue line to show how his fixed crawl works it really "clicked" for me. I've been shooting today in between mowing and other things (totally got ran off the mower by a swarm of my own honey bees) and from shooting instinctive-ish over the last few months I figured I try a little experiment. Started at 10yds and held where I felt I should and let one loose. Did the same at 15, 20 and 25yds. When I did everything properly the grouping was mildly consistent. I then did the same using the point of the arrow to gap shoot and was surprised to find that by holding the point of the arrow on the same spot on the target produced similar results at those ranges. I do like how when I was gap shooting I was usually pretty close to the correct aim point from spending all that time instinctive-ish. I'm more accurate today than I have been in months. Still no where near hunting accurate but it's getting better.

Richard.

Comment

Working...
                X