Arrow weight for Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow weight for Elk

Planning on elk this fall. I have always been a lighter arrow shooter. I have a Hoyt Vector Turbo. 70# 29" draw, currently shooting a 386 grain arrow at 318 fps. It generates 86 ft lbs of KE, which according to most is enough for anything through cape buffalo. But most elk hunters I've talked to said to get closer to a finished weight of 475-525. I did the math on calculator and same set up. 70# 29" with a 500 grain arrow drops speed to 283 fps with 89 ft lbs of energy. Is this right? Only a 3 ft lb of KE difference. If so does 3 ft lbs of KE make a huge difference?

A 450 grain arrow shows 300 fps and still 89 ft lbs. Would that be the same really? It seems like 50 grains would make a bigger difference but I guess the speed dropping negates the heavier arrow? Or am I missing something here.

I shoot fixed blade and I have some DRT single bevel 125 grain 2 blade heads that are tuned good on my lighter arrow bringing finished weight from 386 to 411 grains and they put a big nasty wound channel in the critters I've hit with them so far. What heads do the elk hunters recommend?

Help a big animal noob out. I'm lost and I don't want to half *** this.

I would shoot for an arrow over 450 grains. I dont necessarily think you need to be at 500. KE isnt the only factor with penetration. You also have to look at momentum when you go to a heavier arrow..

I am going on a moose/bison hunt this year and my arrow is going to end up at right around 480..
    Gold tip Kinetic Kaos 27 inches long, 3 inch AAE vanes with 50 grain brass hit inserts, ballistic collar, and 125 grain head.

Your on the right track with your broadhead. But i would definitely shoot for 450 and a little heavier foc

Comment

a 500ish arrow equipped with a proven/penetrating broadhead will be more than enough.

Comment

I have shot through 5 elk in the last 6 years with a 390gr arrow at 285fps.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
            a 500ish arrow equipped with a proven/penetrating broadhead will be more than enough.

I second this

Comment

I like hunting arrows in the 425-450 grain range for most stuff. I have killed several elk, a couple moose, and lots of other critters with arrows in that range. My recommendation would be to forget the ke numbers. Those light arrows lose energy real fast once they hit and penetration will suffer. I don't believe in super heavies for everything but I used a 900 grain arrow for Cape buffalo and a 1250 grain arrow on a hippo. Last year had a pass through on a bison at 50 yards with a 570 grain arrow.

Comment

Great info... on my bucket list!

Comment

DO NOT look at KE, look at momentum when talking about bowhunting. Momentum is the ability of a projectile/arrow to penetrate.
                  I increased my arrow weight by 150 grains, increased my KE by 1, but increased my momentum drastically and the speed dropped from 315 fps to 270. I love what it did with the accuracy and forgiveness of the arrow and the noise level of my bow dropped vey significantly. KE is for bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                    What broad head?

Comment

Id shoot a 125 solid or a 125 German kinetic for a elk

Comment

I know you weren't asking but I'll list the broadheads I have used.
                        1. Magnus stinger-Colorado bull
                        2. Magnus glue on-trad kill
                        3. Montec-Gila bull #1
                        4. Slick trick standard-gila bull #2
                        5. Qad exodus-Wyoming bull
                        6. Qad exodus-Nevada bull

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                          I passed a 2-blade Rage through a bull at 60 yards with a 390ish grain arrow. Shot placement. IMO

Comment

My arrow weighs 425gr.My Dl is 28".Blew completely thru an elk at 32 yds last yr

Comment

Going to give my 2cents worth. I like heavy arrows. Part of that is a short draw. So I build my arrows for a certain amount of momentum. I also like my bow having a lot less noise at the shot. Now saying this

Momentum. is what you look for. Now what is the number you look for. I don't know. This is again another thing that everyone talks about but know one tells you what that is. Dr ashby talks about .57 being the number. But I believe that was with a 650 gn arrow at 19 % foc. So. In my experiance with big hogs my .57 did not pass complete but my friends .63 did. But this arrow was at 560 gns.
                              Now if you fallow ashby. Is an .57 momentum at 500 gn arrow have the same penitration as a 650 gn arrow at .57. ????

So. The arrow you listed has a momentum. Of .54. So really this should with good shot placement a good clean kill.
                              But you are fixing to go elk hunting. So do you want a arrow with good shot placement will do good. Or an arrow that if you make a bad shot will still do the job.
                              This is where the weight comes in.
                              An 500 gn using your numbers at 283 fps gives you .628 momentum. This is where I would want to be.
                              Remeber no matter what if you don't have a good head. It won't matter.
                              Most people put an arrow together and hunt all there lives and never have a problem. Then ther are some that take arrow building to the next level. Learn to build an arrow with T.A.P.
                              Last edited by enewman; 05-04-2015, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X