Rattling for Deer East Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattling for Deer East Texas

Im on a place in Woodville, learned how to rattle in south Texas last year during the rut. Seems as if the deer in ETX are a whole lot smarter than the deer in STX, anybody have any good tips for me! the rut isn't far from kicking off!

It works but you better have some natural barrier to keep him from getting down wind if you are planning to shoot one with a bow, I've rattled several bucks in east texas but they will absolutely come in from the down wind side regardless of where they are when they pick up on your rattling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Never had it work. Ever. Seems the buck doe ratio is way to out of whack. I know they fight bc I had busted up deer last year on cams but I just haven't ever gotten it to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I rattled one in 2 years ago. He ended up busting me on the down wind side. It's was around mid October

Comment

It works. You may not know it because the buck got downwind and busted you, but it works. Stay well hidden and make sure the wind is right from where you believe the deer will be coming from. It's a lot easier to rattle them in down in South Texas. East Texas deer as the smartest ones in the state. I would suggest not over rattling. A decoy or two also helps. Chances are you won't be successful, but it's worth a try. I've only been able to take a deer while rattling in East Texas twice. I've tried it at least 50 times. I think your best bet is to be silent and hunt the game trails.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
            Never had it work. Ever. Seems the buck doe ratio is way to out of whack. I know they fight bc I had busted up deer last year on cams but I just haven't ever gotten it to work

This has been my experience. Unless you count coyotes. Ive rattled in 2

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              This has been my experience. Unless you count coyotes. Ive rattled in 2

Lol. Rattle once and had a doe blow at me. Does that count?

Comment

I rattled up a 170" ten point outside of Bedias about 15 years ago. Only problem was he lived on the other side of a high fence that bordered the property I was hunting. Aside from that I've tried a few times with no success.

Comment

I have been rattling in Freestone county for 20 years and have not had near the success as I do out in Schleicher county. Have rattled in several over the years, but not near like out west. Have a buddy that rattled in a 145 two years ago. Helps to get down in the thick stuff and away from the open meadows and feeders. Technique is the same as any where else, but location is key.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                    Lol. Rattle once and had a doe blow at me. Does that count?

At least its a deer.

Ive not had any luck trying to grunt at deer either. Ive literally watched bucks spar and grunt at each other, watch the winner stand there bristled up and grunted at him. No response whatsoever. Or see deer just outside of range and grunt. Bucks never break stride. Keep saying I'll dry a doe bleat and see how that goes. Sure cant do any worse

Comment

Yeah, I think it only works on hunting shows with 1-1 buck doe ratios. Lol

Comment

ive never been succesful nor have i heard of anyone being succesful good luck Hoss

Comment

I have rattled in a bunch over the years. I rattled in and shot a 139" 9 point with my bow last season in East Tx. Like others mentioned, hunt against a barrier so they cant get downwind, and the thicker the area the better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                            I have rattled in a bunch over the years. I rattled in and shot a 139" 9 point with my bow last season in East Tx. Like others mentioned, hunt against a barrier so they cant get downwind, and the thicker the area the better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What kind of barrier are we talking. I think a buck could get through anything on my lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
                              What kind of barrier are we talking. I think a buck could get through anything on my lease.
                              A deep creek, ditch, river, etc. something not easy for them to cross or offers resistance in order to cross.

Comment

Working...
                              X