Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
    This is how I understand it too.

It seems to me that the best way to go is to set up a trust with only yourself listed as the responsible person. That means only you personally have to be fingerprinted and go through the process of being approved by the ATF.

Once you complete that process, then you add other individuals as responsible persons on the trust. Doing so means that you don't have to coordinate with them getting fingerprinted for the application purpose.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I have a Dead Air Sandman in jail right now. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
    Yes, but it is really a one time deal, since next time everyone you added to the trust will have to go thru the fingerprint etc, or you can have multiple trusts but that could get confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      Yes, but it is really a one time deal, since next time everyone you added to the trust will have to go thru the fingerprint etc, or you can have multiple trusts but that could get confusing.
      SS sells a single trust that you buy each time you make a purchase. Seems like a big loophole that will get closed up eventually.

Comment

All you have to do is remove them as resonsible persons from the trust for the duration of the application and add them back later if you choose.
        Set your trust up right and it should be easy.
        Smart lawyers have figured this stuff out... that's what I paid Jim Willi for and he took care of me in spades.

Comment

Trust is the way I did it

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
            All you have to do is remove them as resonsible persons from the trust for the duration of the application and add them back later if you choose.
            Set your trust up right and it should be easy.
            Smart lawyers have figured this stuff out... that's what I paid Jim Willi for and he took care of me in spades.
            That would only work if no one in the trust already had suppressors under the trust. There are 5 of us, and 4 have possession of different ones at all times

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

What is your wife supposed to do if you die? Do you also not have life insurance because it's not a benefit to you?
              Well mister high-and-mighty she can do whatever she pleases with it. Throw it in the lake, chop it up etc. I can guarantee she wont want it.

But thanks for letting me know how those much more sophisticated than I feel about the topic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
                Well mister high-and-mighty she can do whatever she pleases with it. Throw it in the lake, chop it up etc. I can guarantee she wont want it.

But thanks for letting me know how those much more sophisticated than I feel about the topic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                Not trying to be high and mighty. At the very least you're leaving her with an ATF paperwork process to deal with by not making provisions for her legal possession prior.

Comment

That would only work if no one in the trust already had suppressors under the trust. There are 5 of us, and 4 have possession of different ones at all times

It works for me every time.
                  If you're leveraging a single trust to cover 5 individuals and multiple suppressors and would rather all get fingerprinted as the trade-off, by all means get after it.
                  What was your point again?

Comment

It works for me every time.
                    If you're leveraging a single trust to cover 5 individuals and multiple suppressors and would rather all get fingerprinted as the trade-off, by all means get after it.
                    What was your point again?
                    Point is, i wouldn't think most can remove people from the trust to get around being printed, unless those trustees brought back all suppressirs in their possession under the current trust.

Comment

Point is, i wouldn't think most can remove people from the trust to get around being printed, unless those trustees brought back all suppressirs in their possession under the current trust.

Maybe I'm out of touch, but I don't think most people are stretching their trusts as far as you are.
                      If you'd said it wouldn't work for you, I'd have said you're probably right. If it's easier to get everyone fingerprinted, have at it.
                      You said it won't work, which is incorrect-- it works perfectly for me.
                      Having split enough hairs, I'm moving on.

Comment

So, for a guy that is single, has no heirs, and doesn’t plan on loaning out their suppressor to anyone and plans to be with anyone other than themselves when it is in use, what is the advantage of the trust?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                          So, for a guy that is single, has no heirs, and doesn’t plan on loaning out their suppressor to anyone and plans to be with anyone other than themselves when it is in use, what is the advantage of the trust?
                          Comments?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                            Do you plan to stay that way forever & what do you want to happen with all your current & future firearm purchases now if something were to happen?? Would you at least not want them to end up with a good amigo??

You have to remember these are generally lifetime purchases. Let's just say you do them as an individual under your current circumstances & life changes, meet soulmate, etc. Unless I'm not understanding correctly, you would then have to pay $200 per nfa item to get them to a trust later vs. making an addendum, having them already on a trust at no cost.

Setting up a trust now is worth it IMO...hopefully someone can confirm my assumptions.

Comment

Wouldn’t the probate attorney or the state handle this. If I was to leave to buddy, i would think if they really wanted it, they can pay for the inheritance.

I honestly just don’t see the benefit in my situation of a trust. Put yourself in my shoes and me wrong.

Comment

I'm not going to convince you of anything...you want to let the state handle bidding & do all the settling of your affairs, that is fine with me as well.

I have no skin in the game...you already have my scenario to consider otherwise. You are not talking about any significant amount of $$$$ of trust vs individual.

Comment

Working...
                                X