Gus Engeling 10/31/2017 - 11/04/2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Gus Engeling Archery Draw Hunt 10.31.17- thru -11.4.17

So myself and a few friends won the archery hunt for Gus Engeling next week. I have a few questions if you guys have any experience with the area. Any help would be much appreciated!

I will also try my best next week to upload as many photos as we can. Are there any feller’ TBH guys that will be there next week?

1. Does the group that was chosen for the drawn hunt, hunt one single unit? Or is it every man for himself?

2.Orientation is Tuesday at 12pm.
    Is there any scouting before orientation?
    Are we allowed to scout after orientation or do we go strait to set up a stand?

Feel free to share any information that could be helpful to the success of our hunts. Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been on drawn Bowhunts at Gus. My hunt was by compartment. My group was all assigned to one compartment of a few hundred acres. You won’t be assigned a compartment until orientation. Pre scouting could be done with a Annual Public Hunting permit when Gus is open before your hunt but you won’t be guaranteed any particular compartment. You can request a particular compartment at orientation but no guarantee you’ll get it.

Comment

I hunt just east of Gus WMA on private land. Try and spook out as many deer my direction
        I've seen some beasts in there over the years growing up right beside it. My dad has fished catfish creek over the years. There's tons of hogs & can be hard to hunt. Lots of bottom land with sloughs around the creek. I've heard they are pretty good on advice where to hunt within the compartment. You should see activity. Best of luck!

Comment

Sounds great! Thank for the input guys!

Comment

Heading out to GEWMA tomorrow.

Haven't seen any youth hunt sucess stories yet

I expect a slow hunt. Hope something csn come together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

From my buddy's hunt this weekend:

Well, came home empty handed. Believe it or not my nephews gun misfired not 100 yards from where my brothers did a couple years ago, on a doe, broadside at 30 yards (I'm thinking there may be an old Indian burial ground there, lol). Hunted pasture 22, saw 3 does, 3 shooter bucks, 1 young buck, 8 hogs

Comment

Good luck to y'all! The rut is in full swing in that part of the country!

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
                  From my buddy's hunt this weekend:

Well, came home empty handed. Believe it or not my nephews gun misfired not 100 yards from where my brothers did a couple years ago, on a doe, broadside at 30 yards (I'm thinking there may be an old Indian burial ground there, lol). Hunted pasture 22, saw 3 does, 3 shooter bucks, 1 young buck, 8 hogs

Thats pretty good, I've hunted there multiple times and don't think I've seen that many deer combined but hogs bet I've seen over a 100 there.

Comment

Looks like rain...

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                      Looks like rain...
                      Yeah, its going to be wet!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Let the games begin!

Gettin everything set up! I’m headed down in the morning!

Stopped at Brookshire’s to load up!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck

Keep us updated

Comment

TPWD Gus Engeling Archery Draw Hunt 10.31.17- thru -11.4.17

I hunt less than a mile from the entrance. Get in early, stay all day, and hunt til dark. The bucks are cruising hard and you’ll probably see rutting activity by the end of the hunt. Good luck! There’s some bigguns out there

Comment

Working...
                                X