Anyone ever hand hewn logs or beams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever hand hewn logs or beams?

I am going to make a light for over my bar with an 5'x8"x8" cedar beam and am wanting to hew the wood. Any one ever used an adze before? Should I use a straight edge or curved? Any advice I could get would be appreciated. Is there a tool like a hammer or such I could use instead of buying an actual adze and get the same effect?

No one?

Comment

I recommend a straight adze for a project like that. Are you going to go all the way through or just make a valley down the middle? If you lived closer, you could borrow all my primitive tools...

Comment

Nope but I’m in. YouTube is your friend.

-------------------------------
        Violence never settles anything
        -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Would this work?
          Attached Files

Comment

Not as well, but if you sharpen it you can probably make it work.
            Out of the common tools at a hardware store I'd probably opt for a small sledge hammer and a nice big chisel.

Comment

Do an Internet search for The Woodwright's Shop or look for it on youtube. I think the guy's name is Roy Underhill. He had a show on PBS for years. He was from NC maybe and never used power tools.

I think he had an adz that was heavy and longer handle than what you show. Got it good and sharp, straddled the log and worked his way by swinging like a pendulum. You might want to wear boots
              Last edited by 18ncs; 10-12-2017, 04:24 PM.

Comment

lookup spoke-shaver or draw knives.
                lots of work but lots of satisfaction.

Comment

Let us see before and after

Comment

The first episode I watched will help you. I am ready to come by for a beer when you get it done. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X