Question for LEO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for LEO?

So my sister just told me a story about the cops where shes based at with YWAM. Could just be the way things are in that town, but sure as heck didn't seem right. She's staying in Redding, California ( yeah big red flag there first). It's a small town but apparently has a lot of homeless and its where the jail drops off newly freed inmates. A family was letting her stay at their house in the mountain, and apparently there's some known druggy lady that lives in the ravine by the house. The lady starts walking down the driveway towards the house like some zombie off the walking dead, so naturally my sister called the cops. Their response was, sorry, let us know if she tries to enter the house, then call us. The only thing i can think of is they just have a really small police force but still. LEO thoughts on that response?

its cali, are you surprised, they cant afford to offend anyone, let alone a homeless woman

Comment

I actually grew up there. Couple things...if she lives on the mountain then it's probably not Redding police jurisdiction, it's probably Shasta County Sheriff. It's a very large county and they may not have had a deputy anywhere close. It may have been a miscommunication with the dispatcher too. She might have been trying to say "let us know if she tries to enter the house" because then the response can be increased in priority and code and they may have been able to get mutual aid from a nearby agency. Also, walking like a zombie is not in itself a crime. Sure, she's trespassing, but had anyone told her to get off the property? Just a few thoughts from someone who was not there.

Comment

Not good policy IMHO. You call the Sheriff around here for a trespasser and you will have several Deputies double quick.

I called on someone who was on my land and mentioned to the Deputies I had caught the guy once before and I was admonished for not calling the Sheriff the first time.

Comment

A) you call the police for help... they should come help. They can determine once they get there the severity of the call. It's almost kind of like its in their job description.
          B) If she called the wrong department, then that dispatcher should have notified the right department...
          C) Calls are recorded. If the dispatcher did indeed say what is being reported to be said to someone asking for law enforcement assistance, that dispatcher shouldnt be able to take orders at a Mickey D's drive-thru window.

JMO.

Comment

I’ve been in LE for a little while and I agree with System

Comment

No matter how minor a call, it is up to the officer to make the decisions on what course to take. I better be notified by dispatch of every call for service that comes through.

Comment

A call like that is a low priority call. I doubt most agencies would respond at all.

Comment

Working...
                X