X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

marinade in clorox over night.

Comment

Originally posted by Planopurist View Post
      Are the Texas rams good eating - Dahl sheep, Corsicana, Black Hawaiian, mouflon, etc. ? If so, which is the tastiest? About the same? Any preparation tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Mutton......maybe if prepared correctly,and I was starving ....rams , stinking goats,taste as bad as they smell...My opinion,I'm sure there are exceptions...I've never found them....

Comment

i've eaten both aoudad, mutton and rams.. and I have NEVER had one that smelled, nor tasted bad. Look up some Moroccan recipes such as, Lamb Tangine, and go to town. Those places cook mutton/lamb/goat all the time so there recipes know what they are doing!

Comment

Shot a Mouflon once. Meat had a “pasty” liver like texture to it. Taste wasn’t bad but I doubt I will ever shoot another. Taste nothing near as good as Axis.

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
            i've eaten both aoudad, mutton and rams.. and I have NEVER had one that smelled, nor tasted bad. Look up some Moroccan recipes such as, Lamb Tangine, and go to town. Those places cook mutton/lamb/goat all the time so there recipes know what they are doing!

I’m digging this, but I wonder if the wild sheep are much different than domestics. I like domestic lamb.

Comment

I have this old family recipe, you take an old shingle from an outhouse, then you............. well never mind.

Comment

Mouflon is just dandy. Brining is good but not necessary. Blanching is good but not necessary. Roast quarters in big covered pan...slow and low. Montreal Chicken or Steak seasoning is awesome on Moofy. If you can...marinade in whatever seasoning or preferred liquid...overnight.... makes everything better.

Straight ground moofy ewe is good too. Season to taste when cooking.

I like to get Moofy Goofy! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Planopurist View Post
                  I’m digging this, but I wonder if the wild sheep are much different than domestics. I like domestic lamb.

In central texas..wild and domesticated pretty much eat the same thing! I've done it with wild.. never tried a store bought one!

Comment

They are all nasty, but I'm sure SwampRabbit will be along shortly with a different opinion!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                      Mouflon is just dandy. Brining is good but not necessary. Blanching is good but not necessary. Roast quarters in big covered pan...slow and low. Montreal Chicken or Steak seasoning is awesome on Moofy. If you can...marinade in whatever seasoning or preferred liquid...overnight.... makes everything better.

Straight ground moofy ewe is good too. Season till you can't taste sheep when cooking.

I like to get Moofy Goofy! Good luck.
                      FIFY!!!

Bisch

Comment

We love it and shoot a few per year to fill the freezer. Haven't had one yet we didn't like. We either smoke it or make it into things like guisado, abondigas, chile negro, chiles rellenos, etc.

No idea how everybody else has tried making it, but you can't really grill it or steak it....has to be slow and low for best texture and flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                          you can't really grill it or steak it....has to be slow and low for best texture and flavor.

I’ll keep this in mind. [emoji848]

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            FIFY!!!

Bisch

lol

Comment

The only sheep I've ever eaten was the Dall sheep I killed in the NWT. One of the best meats I've ever had. Cooked over an open fire, you could cut the backstraps with a fork.

Now mouflon, Aoudad, black Hawaiian, or whatever you want to call them I ain't eating them. We have them running free range on our lease and they smell worse than the hogs.

Comment

Its all about meat care. I love lamb/mutton.

Comment

Working...
                                X