Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest liability car insurance for 18 year old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheapest liability car insurance for 18 year old?

Holy crap!

To add my son to my insurance it would go up $2,200 per year. That's liability only on his RX-8 beat up car.

Any cheaper options worth looking into? On his own it would be nearly 3k per year. How can 18-21 year olds make enough to make those payments just for liability insurance?

Yep. Insurance for me, my wife and my daughter is slightly less - all combined - than what it costs for my son.

Comment

Try Geico. When we added my son to our old insurance (Travelers) who I had been with for 20+ years doubled I started looking. Geico was cheaper that Traverlers with my son. I have no affiliation with them just letting you know what I am using.

Comment

What is the RX8 classified as?
        Sports car?

Does that have anything to do with it?

Comment

All combined is always the way to go.

Comment

Switch vehicles and see what that does....little single cab truck or wrangler.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
              Agreed....just designate him as the driver of the least expensive vehicle. It helps

Comment

Theirs no such thing as cheap insurance, especially for teenagers.

Comment

That’s just crazy. Insurance for
                  my 17 yo son is $1,600 per year, full coverage with high limits and low deductible on a 2004 Z71 4x4.

Your insurance is ripping you off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                    I am going through this with my 16 year old currently and my agent said things have changed and this is no longer the case. She could drive a sports car or a civic and it’s strictly based on the value of the car. So for him with liability only this is not going to change by changing vehicles. This strictly insuring him in the event of a accident.
                    They have also changed the rules apparently related to a primary driver and a specific vehicle. I am curious to hear if others have expiernced something different recently. This is State Farm and I have used them for over 25 years but I’m not sure that really matters.

Comment

Safeco was the cheapest for my son.

Comment

Get a seperate policy

I ended up getting a separate policy at an different agency/provider. If he was on my policy it was $300/ month because of the other cars on our policy. I pay $182/month for the same coverage I carry on my other cars, not just liability, full collision and comprehension.

He is still covered on our cars if we give him permission to drive them, just like any other friend or relative, but not driver listed on the policy.

I carry State Farm and he is on Allstate.

He has a 2008 Ford F150.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                          What is the RX8 classified as?
                          Sports car?

Does that have anything to do with it?

I would bet it has to do with this

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            That’s just crazy. Insurance for
                            my 17 yo son is $1,600 per year, full coverage with high limits and low deductible on a 2004 Z71 4x4.

Your insurance is ripping you off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            If I were you, I would not call, go by or even look towards your insurance agent. That is WAY cheap.

Comment

get an online quote with Progressive and Geico for comparison... super easy and doesn't take long to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X