No announcement yet.

Are Knives of Alaska worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a fan are they still assembled in Denison of parts from China.

Comment

Completely worth it. Had a set for about 15 years or so. They are awesome.

Comment

I have a few of them . They have been good knives .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have the featherlite hunter and I really wanted to love this knife but I'm totally disappointed in it. Can't get it sharp to save my life and when it does get a good edge it doesn't last. Looks like back in the day everyone loved them so maybe something changed or I just got a dud.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
            Bringing an old post to life here but I can confirm these knives are very high quality. Charles started another company recently called diamondblade which makes excellent knives as well. Also has an outfitting company in Alaska. If you ever have the chance to meet him you'll hear some incredible stories.
            I'm very interested the diamond blade knives, but don't know if they're worth the price. Keith Warren has a few videos on YouTube about them. I would just like a unbiased review on them.

Comment

They hold an edge really well, but when they get dull good luck getting the edge back. Had some for years and still have trouble finding a good way to sharpen them.

Comment

If you have one of their d2 blades I suggest you have it custom sharpened. It is worth it because d2 can hold an edge for a long time. I can put an edge on a D2 knife with an Edge pro Apex but it still takes a while.

BTW nice work to the original poster. He went looking for a kife and found a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by XR650RRider View Post
                  Don't let the "Alaska" part throw you. They are made in Denison, Texas.
                  Right indeed, of course geographical location is not a prerequisite for superior production. As a knife maker I'm not a fan mass produced knives that are stamped, water jetted, heated treated by and tempered in mass quantities.

As far as price goes, KOA knives are worth the money, it takes a lot to run an operation as large as they are. You can get three or four KOA knives for what you'd pay for one of my mine, I can't compete with machine made.

My son had someone give him a Bubba Knife... again, don't let the name throw you. Made in China.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                    I have the featherlite hunter and I really wanted to love this knife but I'm totally disappointed in it. Can't get it sharp to save my life and when it does get a good edge it doesn't last. Looks like back in the day everyone loved them so maybe something changed or I just got a dud.
                    That's what happens when the knives are heat treated and tempered by mass quantities.

Comment

Originally posted by TEX_hunt_AS View Post
                      Wow I can't believe my eyes, not one negative comment about these knifes. I was starting to think there was a pessimist in every thread. I have never used one but with everyone singing their praise I think I might go online and order one right now!
                      Slight change of subject...forgive the hijack please..I noticed your name was Mike Barbee....any relation to the Barbee from the San Angelo area that was a knife maker back in the day....

Comment

Originally posted by q-all View Post
                        I have the muskrat/cub, the cleaver, and the magnum Alaska Guthook.

I have not been very impressed with them. They were incredible sharp at first but now I cannot seem to get a very good edge on them. Especially the two cubs. I just must be horrible at sharpening. I got a Havalon piranta and have been very satisfied with it.

So if anybody wants to buy some KOA I have some for sale.
                        Send me a pm with what you have and their prices...may be I can help you out.

Comment

I hate to be the odd man out,but I have about 7 of them, I can't get any to hold an edge,I will take a javalina over them anyday

Comment

Dang autocorrect,,I meant Havalon

Comment

Originally posted by PNOAK View Post
                              Dang autocorrect,,I meant Havalon
                              Lol. Regarding other people’s complaints about sharpening KOAs, D2 tool steel is notoriously hard to sharpen. If you’re having trouble with it, KOA will re-sharpen them for $5 each.
                              Last edited by sir shovelhands; 03-31-2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

huh..

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
                                No knife is worth that kind of money. I have several high end knives and was on the pro staff for Rapid River Knivesfor many years. After losing knives it seems I do that a lot. I switched to cheap $4.00 Victor knives. I take two out with me and they get the job done with no fear of loss. For my up coming moose/griz float trip were taking several and a small sharpener. For caping I use scapel blades.
                                I didn't carry a $4 knife when I was 4 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X