Padre Island National sea shore how far car you drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dtu11 View Post
    When you say kayaks to fish are you talking about kayaking in the surf? The forecast is looking pretty rough for the surf this weekend.

Forecast
    https://magicseaweed.com/Bob-Hall-Pier-Surf-Report/361/

http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/texa...-channel-tcoon

I've been going down pretty regular so I'll give you my thoughts.

Surf - The surf is 4-6ft on Saturday and 3-5ft on Sunday. Which will make for pretty rough conditions on the beach. The swell height will be about 7ft so perhaps bring a surf board.

Beach - PINS will require that you have 4WD past the 10 mile marker. You may be able to avoid the crowd past 5miles but with it being Spring Break for some that may be tough. Also, high tide is around 11am so if you do go past the 10 mile marker it will require you to go through the soft sand and ruts. A 2wd vehicle will simply not cut it. Bring a tow strap or shovel. I've helped several people either dig themselves out or tow them out.

Fishing - If you want to catch fish now, I would probably head to the Jetis and fish for some Sheepshead. They're getting ready for spawn and you can get a limit pretty easy IMO. They are tough to clean and not as much meat as some other fish but they taste really good I think. I would check out one of the latest videos on youtube from ThresherFishing. He's been catching a lot of them and shows you how to do it.

Always a good time to go down to the beach so hopefully you can enjoy it. If you have questions or anything just PM me.
    awesome advice man I will hit you up for sure... we are planing on heading out April 19th to 23rd

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      What's the bucket for?
      pour water on the sand if you get stuck. It will harden at little and sometimes allow you to crawl out slowly. The sand on PINS is finer that up this way but it does work

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        pour water on the sand if you get stuck. It will harden at little and sometimes allow you to crawl out slowly. The sand on PINS is finer that up this way but it does work
        Ah! Makes sense.

Comment

Depends on the daily conditions and the tides. I've driven my 250 diesel to the jetties many times several just in just 2 wheel drive. Although other times i've stopped in the first 10 because it just wasnt right. I would think if you pay attention you shoudnt have a problem getting past the first 5 crowds. Like said before bring a shovel and bucket and have fun. Its one of my favorite places!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txbowkill View Post
            You Should have no problem going far enough down to get away from the crowds. It usually starts thinning out after 5 miles or so. I have taken my 2wd 30-35 miles with no problems.
            BUT!!!! If you are that far down,and do have trouble....you will be in deep dodo...all by yourself...unless you have experience in sand driving,I would suggest you stay in the popular areas.
            Take this from one who grew up running the beaches from Port Isabel to the Mansfield cut and Boca Chica from t he jetties to the mouth of the Rio Grande and in Mexico all the way to the 8th pass.
            Last edited by Winman; 03-23-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Depending on tires, you can possibly air down your tires. Most off-roaders will air down their tires in the sand.

Comment

www.corpusfishing.com is a good site for info.

Comment

ive been to the end and back a dozen times in two wheel drive. The forties get really narrow and on high tide you dont have very much beach at all. What dates are you planning on going?

Comment

Search for POCO's PINS threads on here. Lot of info

Comment

Just go! People have been doing this long before cell phones and tbh! [emoji23]

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                      X